1. A.M.P.

A.M.P. People Buy My Books for the Bio Photo Contributor

Home for pieces 16k and up?

Discussion in 'Marketing' started by A.M.P., Apr 16, 2015.

Anyone know of any reputable places that accept novelettes that aren't sci-fi/f between the 16k mark and up?

I looked around, found a few, but they either cost a huge reading fee or what they wanted wasn't what I had.

I'd need a place that accepts something along the lines of coming of age/YA or LGBT themed.

Honestly, it's more the awkward length than anything else.
    There just isn't a large market for long short-fiction :p

Edit: You know what? Why not have a place here on WF where we gather good publishers and what they accept? It'd be an useful list for many of us, I bet. I keep my own in my head but hell, maybe it'd help people?

2. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

You're in the same boat I am. I wrote an 11,000 word sci-fi story thinking I'd have a huge number of places to submit it, but when I consulted Duotrope, it turned out that the vast majority of markets don't want stories that long. There are the big magazines - Analog, Asimov's, and Fantasy and Science Fiction - but once you get past those, everyone else caps things off at 8k or 9k. I feel betrayed, I tell you! Betrayed! :(

GuardianWynn likes this.
  3. A.M.P.

@minstrel
    I feel ya pain.

I'm thinking maybe the only spot for it is seasonal contests of some of those magazines where they specifically tend to look for longer stuff...

4. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

The LGBTQ aspect may be useful - you could try Harmony Ink - http://www.harmonyinkpress.com/submissions, and maybe other LGBTQ publishers?

(I've never worked with Harmony Ink myself, but I have a lot of books with their parent corporation and really enjoy working with them, and have heard good things about Harmony Ink. So I think they're reputable enough).

A.M.P. likes this.
  5. A.M.P.

@BayView
    Hey, that publisher sounds kinda great actually.
    They seem competent and sound like they'd be potentially interested in something my style...

Thank you!

BayView likes this.
  6. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

I just stumbled over another possibility - another YA subsidiary for a publisher who is putting out one of my books.

http://tritonya.com/writers.html

I don't know as much about them, but I've really enjoyed working with Riptide, their parent company. No sales numbers yet, so I can't say if I'm going to continue enjoying the relationship, but the editing process was the most rigorous I've ever been through and, while annoying, was good for the book, long-term.

7. Ryan M Pelton

Ryan M Pelton New Member

I can understand the pain but it is obvious magazines like Duotrope do not accept such a big length. Also, need to do a bit of market research before writing.

8. A.M.P.

@Ryan M Pelton
    Duotrope isn't a magazine.
    It's a database for thousands of publishers for writers on the hunt.

And there's two ways to write: Writing what you want and writing for a specific publisher.
    The former; no limits
    The latter; no hassle for finding where and what to submit (ie: easier to be accepted or have acceptable work)

9. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Why not try to whittle the story down to a slightly smaller length? Alternatively, simply put it out yourself. Smashwords is fantastically easy to publish on. KDP too.

10. A.M.P.

I'm not comfortable with self-publishing yet.
    Even writing my current project, I've learned and changed my style quite a bit.

So, for now, it's on the back burner.

11. Mike Kobernus

Mike Kobernus Senior Member

Well, that is fine too. Everyone should move at their own pace. The smartest thing you can do, is not rush.