1. Stammis

Stammis Banned

Super powers

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Stammis, Jul 29, 2015.

When I write my story the initial goal was to be more like lord of the rings, meaning more down to earth when it comes to super natural things, or at least more subtle.

For instance, in the LOTR the power of the magicians are basically only levitation and produce a strong flash of light.

However, as my story continues it it feels more like an manga, for instance, in my story there are three racial abilities, one makes them more agile and stronger, another makes them see infrared and is able to determine if someone lies, and the last has the ability to produce a force that knocks the opponent down. But I try to limit this by only having the main characters companions, and on rare occasions exceptional individuals not part of the group, being able to use these racial abilities at all, or even knows about them.

Also, the strength and agility of the first racial ability is limited to the physical strength that the person already has, so it does not become like a super man scenario.

Furthermore, I think Tolkien was a genius creating the hobbits, because that way he can have his main character weak in the beginning and grow throughout the journey, without having the main characters being a child, which I am struggling with.

I am not sure what the point with this rant was but I am gonna post it anyway.