1. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Recommendations: Modern Crime and Suspense Novels

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Charisma, Dec 28, 2014.

Couldn't find a thread about this in the first two pages, so here I am. I'm on a reading spree for crime and suspense novels these days, and though I've read two very good early 1900s novels in the past two weeks, I'd want to read some modern crime/suspense fiction too.

With regards to recent works, I've read Before I Go to Sleep and Murder List off the top of my head, and while I thought the former was a good read, the latter was just insufferably boring and just downright awful, wouldn't have finished it if I wasn't reading it for a university course. Anyhow. Would love a few good modern crime fiction suggestions--not just bestsellers, but actual well-written novels I could learn from, since that is part of the reason why I'm going through with this.

Thanks, looking forward to a nice reading (or listening, since I use audiobooks for the most part) list to wade through!

2. karmazon

karmazon Member

I particularly enjoyed the Jack Reacher novels. There's over 20 of them, I believe, so there's lots to choose from.

Charisma likes this.
  3. Charisma

It's seems to be more of an action series. Is that so?

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Iain Banks gets an agreeable mention from friends who know better than I do. I've not read one so I can't honestly say.

Charisma likes this.
  5. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Michael Connelly and Robert Crais.

Charisma likes this.
  6. Charisma

Thanks @Lemex and @Steerpike. :) I've gone with Michael Connelly for now, "The Poet". The voice actor is a bit annoying, but hopefully he'll grow on me. XD The reason I didn't pick Banks and Crais was because a few reviewers had written two things about them I simply cannot tolerate in a novel--hot, sexy badass banging chicks left and right, and then saving the day. :wtf:

7. Jenurik Name

Jenurik Name Member

I'd recommend Craig Clevenger's Dermaphoria. Very beautiful writing, he doesn't have the typical crime novel writing style, and the circumstances are pretty unique.

I don't have the physical book on me at the moment, but I've memorized quite a few lines from this. It starts off with "I panicked and swallowed a handful of fireflies and blackwidows the inferno had not. Glass teardrops shattered between my teeth while the fireflies popped like Christmas bulbs until I coughed up blood..." I think it's a special book.

The Contortionist's Handbook is better, but the crime element is only kind of there.

Charisma likes this.