1. FeigningSarcasm

FeigningSarcasm Active Member

Police procedure following a reported murder

Discussion in 'Research' started by FeigningSarcasm, Oct 8, 2017.

I was wondering if anyone had any insight/ knowledge as to what the typical procedure was for a 911 response and following investigation for an alleged murder. The call is made to a strip club in the middle of the night. By the time the police arrive there is no sign of a body or a struggle, the initial contact is high on cocaine, and there is no one to corroborate her claims (she's also 100% certain there was a demon and a fire breathing dog involved, which there totally was, but it certainly isn't going to help her look credible).

I'm mostly trying to gauge how seriously the police would have to take the report.

2. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

At that point, they'd probably be more concerned with the "high on cocaine" part, and she could be arrested for a) Public Intoxication (it doesn't have to be alcohol) or b) Possession of a Controlled substance (if they found any more cocaine on her person/in her belongings.) They might investigate the alleged murder a little, but I'm pretty sure they'd shift focus to the drugs relatively quickly given there were no signs of a struggle and she's gonna sound like she's hallucinating due to the drugs.
    Source: I'm a corrections officer at a county jail, I see people come in on this stuff all the time.

Sclavus and FeigningSarcasm like this.
  3. Sclavus

Sclavus Active Member

I did some time in college for a criminal justice degree, and my professor was a CSPD vet who had done a little of everything (beat cop, SWAT, detective). If the person was high but could indicate a location for the alleged crime, they might look around for blood, shell casings, signs of a struggle, etc. But what they should do and what they will do varies based on work ethic, how close they are to the end of a shift, their personal judgment, etc.

4. Stormsong07

Stormsong07 Contributor Contributor

I wholeheartedly agree with this as well.