1. CBorlain

CBorlain New Member

Fantasy Plot Development

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by CBorlain, Jun 4, 2012.

Hey all!

I'm writing a fantasy triology and I've already completed the first draft of Book 1. However, I hate it. So I went back to my story board bible tried to re-approach the plot. I'm trying to decide if the plot I have in mind is good as a stand alone plot for Book 1 of a fantasy story.

*The three main characters meet and must agree to unite in order to defeat the antagonist.*

The rising action will be defiance of this "prophesy". One MC thinks its way too dangerous and crazy but is fascinated with the magical realm she's just discoverd. The 2nd MC (already part of the realm) only cares about revenge and nothing else. The 3rd MC (also already part of the realm) believes the prophesy but is scared of the consequences. After the 2nd MC is captured, tortured and eventually recused, the three see how evil the antagonist is and finally all agree to do whatever is asked of them.

Their acceptance is how Book 1 ends. Is this suitable for the fantasy genre?

Thank you everyone!

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

For a new author, you will not be able to sell a series. New or not, every novel must stand on its own.

As for any opinion we might have on the storyline itself, it's irrelevant. A story is made or broken not in the story concept, but in the quality of the writing.

3. CBorlain

CBorlain New Member

Thanks, that was very helpful and inspiring.

4. CBorlain

CBorlain New Member

Cogito, After reading you "What Is Plot Creation and Development?" post I think I have better understanding of your comment.

I'm not asking about the story line. I'm asking about my plot, what drives the story. I'm am asking if it's a strong enough plot for a fantasy novel.

If I'm still not asking the right question, please enlighten me because maybe I'm not understanding the point of this forum.

5. louis1

louis1 Member

if you are wondering if your plot is strong enough for a fantasy, just ask your self, is your antagonist strong enough, are the desires of your characters strong enough, and are the stakes high enough?
    The three main characters meet and must agree to unite in order to defeat the antagonist

6. killbill

killbill Member

So, we have the beers, the band, and the people are filling up the room.... But wait, the party will happen in the next book. I am sorry, the first book sounds like the back story for the next book.

7. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Write it in the way that you feel it must be written in. What's the harm? The truth is, if there's no story there, meaning it shouldn't be a series in the first place, you'll certainly find out soon enough.

But given that you hate your first book - it sounds like you're asking the wrong question. You shouldn't be asking about if your plot is strong enough - you should be asking, "Why do I hate this?"

Based on your own answers to that question, you'll know soon enough if it's book-worthy at all :)

8. Ubrechor

Ubrechor Active Member

Yes, this kind of skeleton plot definitely has the potential to grow into a fully developed fantasy story. And it is certainly suitable for a fantasy story. One thing you really should take into account, however, is that if this is indeed your first book, then it does need to be able to stand on its own. So having a completely open-ended novel (for instance, as open-ended as if you simply stopped writing halfway through the book) will not be the best idea if you want it to be published.

But, judging from your post, you have all you need to stop worrying about whether it is a suitable fantasy plot, and start writing! As Cogito stated, the quality of writing is what can turn any plot into a masterpiece of a story.

9. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Contributor Contributor

You won't know if the plot is strong enough until you actually write it. There is no other way to really answer it. Yes, there's potential.

I am not sure the story arc, with the first book ending with the three getting together in agreement, basically setting up for the rest, I am not sure how that will sell to an audiece (editor/agent/potential reader) for an unknown.

There should be a complete story arc in the first novel, a statisfying ending for the reader. If one is an established author/writer with an established audience, there is more leeway in this.

In answer to your question, read what's out there and determine if what you intend to write, while maybe not fully in the mainstream is enough to satisfy a readership/audience. Is there enough conflict and action and mystery etc. to keep the reader interested and going? Or is it more set up for what is to come?

10. Cogito

Make sure you look at CURRENT novels. What was publishable seventy years ago may not be publishable now, especially by an unknown, unpublished author.

You cannot sell a novel which does not comprise a complete story.

11. Ettina

Ettina Senior Member

I think Mckk's advice is the best. If you don't like it, then even if it'd be fine for some other writer, there's something about it that isn't right for you. What exactly bothers you about the story? Is it just concern about how others will see it, or can you find something you need to change about it?

12. Siena

Siena Senior Member

It's fine for the genre, but you need more detail.

Plot and genre are not related. The same plot can work in many genres.

13. ithestargazer

ithestargazer Active Member

Good point. If you want the first book to be a stand alone as you indicated, you need to have some sort of resolution at the end and not just a set up for an upcoming conflict.

14. Ellipse

Ellipse Contributor Contributor

The plot is acceptable for the fantasy genre. You just have to make certain your story answers all the questions the reader will have after reading that sentence. Here are some example questions:

Why do these three MCs want to defeat the antagonist?
    Why must they work together?
    Why can't any of them do it alone?
    Why can't someone else defeat the antagonist?

You can always finish the story so that it ends with the possiblity of a sequel, but if your story has glaring plot holes and can't stand on it's own, it won't be very good.

15. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

This is the right answer right here, i firmly believe you can debut as an Author by writing a trilogy but you HAVE to know if it's good enough or not. If you do not like your first novel, you need to reacquaint yourself first before you continue the writing process.

16. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I have to agree that Book 1 sounds like backstory; what you describe doesn't stand alone. And your first book must stand alone. Can you finish the whole story in one book? Alternatively, can you find a substantial accomplishment for these three characters, one that feels satisfying and complete, even if you hope to someday add more to create a trilogy?

17. CBorlain

CBorlain New Member

Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. I went back to the story board and reevaluated what I didn't like about it in the first place. I'm in love and excited with the new direction I'm going in now, thanks to your advice.

Now it's time to rewrite the 1st draft. Practice makes perfect, right? ;)

18. Cogito

Only infinite practice, but it's worthwhile following the pursuit curve anyway. :)

19. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I have to echo what many others have said here: Three people getting together and deciding to do something in the next book does not sound satisfying to me. There's no resolution. The antagonist is not defeated - he isn't even confronted.

Also, what if the first book doesn't sell, so the second book is never published? Whatever audience there is for the first book will never even see the ultimate resolution of the story. This is another reason your first novel must tell a complete, emotionally-satisfying stand-alone story all by itself.

20. Afion

Afion New Member

Write it the way you would want to read it. If you wouldn't enjoy reading it, no-one else will