Tags:
  1. Herl

Herl New Member

love, love, love

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Herl, Jul 14, 2010.

so i was wonderig what would be a good first thread to post here and came into the conclusion that love and character develepment was a good idea to start with...

so here's something,

i'm writing this somewhat story where the characters don't have defined personalities but a set of them. it can be thought as if every single one of them has multiple personalities or as if each one act in different personalities depending on the event or the people surrounding them. this change is not spontaneous, they choose this way of living.

so i have this character which we can call Red, and she mainly has this personality, let's call it Red1, where she behaves like a cold, emotionless, scientific method, hard facts, always serious woman. since she chooses to be this way, it can be thought that she enjoys living like this, but then, she has this other personality, let's call her Red2, where she's this love-filled, family woman, mother of a child, good spouse, calm and soft.

now this mix of two sort of opposite personalities can be justified as a way for her to compensate each life with the other, what she lacks in Red1, she has in Red2, and it all works out but i was thinking of some history and for plot, Red1 has to exist before Red2 and i found this problem:

since Red2 is married, has a child and is madly in love with them, how can a heartless woman like Red1 fall in love with a man so bad that she decides to create this new personality, all that Red1 hates, and act it everyday so the man can love her and be happy together?

at first i gave it a hard thought but then i realized that life sort of is like this. i mean, you know someone you, somehow, fall in love with and if that person has issues with parts of you, you change them or work with them so the other person accepts you, this happens everyday. the case in my story is, of course, the extreme in this matter, but it can indeed be possible in real life... or movies, but they're all the same anyway.

the problem for me is, how can i describe that? a love so bad that even a heartless person decides to be something so completely opposite to embrace it? i don't have a problem conceiving it, i just somehow can't relate to that position and i can't find a way to describe it in such a way that is both credible and not-cheesy... i hate cheesy...

any thoughts?

p.s. yes, i hate me too for writing so much in this post but i wanted to give enough insight on the situation.

2. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

Just to clarify -- is the split personality of R1 and R2 the conflict of the plot, or is it just part of the character, and Red (or both Reds?) deals with an entirely new conflict?

3. Herl

Herl New Member

It's just a part of the character, nothing to do with the plot.

4. Donal

Donal New Member

Is that R1/R2 stuff just a way of saying this is a woman who appears cold and emotionless but when it comes to her family she shows a softer side.

5. MissBelle

MissBelle New Member

So I dont think my comment will really be helpful... But just a thought,

Have you ever been in love?

I always resist written any sort of "love story" because I dont really think I have ever been in love and am not sure I could truthfully write a great love story.

Your plot (what you have described of it anyway) sounds really interesting.

6. Herl

Herl New Member

No, she actually have, at least, those two personalities. Ever seen United States of Tara? Think of that, but less dramatic.

I have never been in love like that. Or maybe I've never been in love. That's why I can't relate. I don't know why I gave that character that story knowing I can't write that, as you just said it yourself, but you know, there are some characters that get out of hand and grow by themselves.

And about the plot, thanks, even though I haven't said anything about the actual plot of the project, I am glad it sounds interesting.

7. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you're talking about Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), previously known as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), don't even attempt it without doing a great deal of research. It can be a devastating burden for the person suffering from it, and it is closely associated with severe childhood abuse. The separate personalities are incomplete. in the sense that none of them are capable of coping in all situations. Personality switches occur at times of stress, completely out of the person's control, and the triggers are often far from obvious.

DID is uncommon, and has been portrayed very poorly far more often than it has been handled well.

8. Herl

Herl New Member

I know that and it's not that, it goes more into fiction, or fantasy, than into that. I just mentioned it as an example to make it easier to understand.

9. LeFay

LeFay New Member

It's a pretty interesting situation you've got yourself in here. :)

My advice would be to find a different angle to get the outcome that you are looking for.

Maybe it's not that she consciously changes her entire personality for the guy, (seeing as, no matter HOW much in love she is, that would be pretty hard to do consistently) but that he and her child allow that part of her to come out. For instance, childbearing can have an extreme effect on the mother, and almost all mothers have strong instincts to protect and nurture their children. Maybe the change happened a bit when she met the guy, and then really came through once she had her child? You could really play around with that one. I mean, it could even be that she didn't like the guy at all, but then surprise, there's a kid on the way, type of thing.

Or, it could be that Red1 only has the appearance of Red2, but doesn't actually feel any of the emotions she displays. This would be a little tricker to manage, but could be interesting. You would have to have a strong reason, either emotional or external, for her to fake her caring side. You could make her a sociopath, I suppose, but like Cogito said, whenever you are dealing with mental issues you need to do your research. However, sociopaths are much easier to study than DID!

I don't know what your plot is like, so I can't even guess if my suggestions are relevant... ha ha!

Well, good luck anyway!

10. Herl

Herl New Member

well the motherhood pat is a good idea indeed. wow, yes, mindblowing. I wonder why it never crossed my mind. thanks a lot!

11. Tiki

Tiki New Member

Very interesting concept! Though it sounded like you need a way for Red1 to love/need the husband and family in order for the situation of Red2 to work.. maybe I interpreted your post wrong... but I was thinking... I think the birth thing is a very good idea to bring it all in, but if it is Red1 that first is interested in the husband, perhaps some part of her sees in him what she wishes to see in herself?
    If she had a troubled childhood or whatever that left her so cold and logical (trust issues? cannot understand/comprehend emotions) - she sees in him what she had lost.. she envy's him for his compassion and carefree attitude. maybe he helps her pick up a dropped bag and for a single moment she feels safe, helped, dare I say cared for? She can't just change who she is (hence the development of Red2?) but she can feel what she knows she wants and needs, but herself is unable to let herself have it...

OK, I know I just went with that... but its a very interesting thought! Best of Luck to you!