1. Nealo d

Nealo d New Member

In the middle of moving from Spain to Cheshire UK

Well, hello.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Nealo d, Sep 23, 2007.

Seems a bit much really, having to start a whole new thread just to introduce myself, but if that's how things are done here, who am I to argue?
    Hi, my name is Neal,and at the moment I am living in Spain, but about to move back to England.Earlier this evening I googled 'writing forum' and now here I am.
    About a million years ago I used to think I could be a great writer; I won prizes at school, and later formed a semi-professional theatre company with friends, using all original material that we wrote ourselves.
    Then, of course, life got in the way, and all things creative were put aside in the pursuit of things like food, warmth and flat-pack furniture.
    Eventually though, our dreams return. In the last couple of years I have rediscovered my love of photography, earned a good part of my living singing songs, and started to write again, and I like myself a lot better for it.
    I'm here because I want to write better, and to be part of a community that cares about creativity. My latest hard-to-achieve goal is to get published, and paid for it,within the next year. I don't want to write a novel; I want to tell people's stories, communicate my World view, tell it like I think it is, and to do it well enough so that people really want to read it. Is that asking too much?

2. Heather Louise

Heather Louise Contributor Contributor

no, Neal, it is not too much. you can achieve anything if you really want to. i have similar goals, although mine are sorta long term as i am like, young, lol, but i think anything is acheivable. I am Heather and can always been found around here somewhere. If you ever need anything reviewing, need a little help or just want a chat then send a PM my way and I’ll be more then happy to help.
    Heather

3. Gannon

Gannon Contributor Contributor

Hello there good sir, I'm also to be found round those parts, I''m living on the Greater Manchester Cheshire border - where will you be? I hope your arrival on the site can be mutually beneficial, we have members of all ages, the majority of whom are informed and talented - so if you have any questions for us then let us know. I hope you can bring your erstwhile talent to our shared table and look forward to reading your posts.

Kind regards.

4. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Welcome to the forums, Neal! I hope you enjoy the company and the resources available here. Take a look around and see what you think. If you need any help with anything, please feel free to ask. I'm always happy to lend a hand.

5. Nealo d

Nealo d New Member

Thanks for the kind words, both of you.
    Actually Gannon, I'll be in Warrington, so not far away from you at all. A bit of a departure for me as a Londoner; I've never lived in the North before, but I'm looking forward to it. My wife is originally from Liverpool, so most of her family are spread out across the North-West; I know it will be great for her to be home, and for me any new experience is worth having.
    The removal process may get in the way for the moment, but once things settle down I'm looking forward to participating here.

6. Nealo d

Nealo d New Member

Thanks Banzai- it's nice to feel welcomed.

7. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Warrington? What ho? I used to live there! Where abouts in Warrington will you be?

8. Nealo d

Nealo d New Member

Sankey Bridges. I haven't even seen the place yet, but I know the area a little, as my sister in law lives around the corner.

9. Charisma

Charisma Transposon Contributor

Welcome! I hope you like it here. Grab a cup of coffee and get writing and reading. Best wishes!

10. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Hello Neal, Welcome to the Writing Forums.

If you haven't explored the site yet, you should probably do so soon. Newcomers often gravitate to the Lounge, the Word Games, or the Review Room, but there is much more to be discovered if you poke in the corners.

As for the Review Room, new joiners often wonder why we do things a bit differently on this site than on other writing sites. We emphasize reviewing as a critical writing skill. Training your eye by reviewing other people's work helps you improve your own writing even before you present it for others to see. Therefore, we ask members to review other people's writing before posting work of their own. The Review Room on this site, therefore, is a true workshop, not just a bulletin board for displaying your work. See this post, Why Write Reviews Before Posting My Work? for more information.

Enjoy your stay here, and have fun!

11. Torana

Torana Contributor Contributor

Hello and welcome to the forum. I hope that you are enjoying your stay with us and that you decide to stick around.
    The forum has plenty to offer and a lot of things to get involved with. We have a lot of contests running, two short story ones and a poetry one so I hope that you get involved with them and join in. They certainly help with expanding your writing skills I find.
    Anyway it is lovely to have you on board and I look forward to seeing you around the boards in the very near future.

Torana