1. Lance Schukies

Lance Schukies Active Member

how long is that book to read?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Lance Schukies, May 31, 2015.

just found this new site

http://www.readinglength.com/

quote " I am just a guy who wants to encourage good reading habits."

2. VirtuallyRealistic

VirtuallyRealistic Active Member

I see you also browse Reddit. Just saw this on the front page of /r/InternetIsBeautiful the other day.

3. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

That's a pretty cool concept. Might be a bit demoralising of you're a slow reader who wants to read a long book, though. :)

4. VirtuallyRealistic

I'm a slow reader, and it's certainly what kept me from reading for a long time. Then I realized it doesn't matter how long it takes to read it, you can enjoy it nonetheless. I've made the mistake in the past of trying to read faster than I'm capable (My first read-through of ASoIaF), and it really hurt the experience.

I'm happy to read slow now. Means I savor the experience longer.

5. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

I'm a pretty fast reader, but that doesn't stop me from reading books slowly. As you say, the longer the book lasts the better (I also have a thing for long books and series ;)).

I still use fast reading as a tool while studying or reading other non-fictional stuff.

6. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

It's very unfortunate but I am very slow reader. I wish there was a way to increase my read speed but not comprise text analysis.

7. Putnam14

Putnam14 New Member

Hey, that's my website! I saw you linked to it and I just wanted you all to know that my current project is creating a better WPM estimator to go along with the site. I want to be able to have different texts across different genres (Technical, non-fiction, fiction, etc.) along with their ease of reading rating. That way I can estimate my own averages for WPM across different types of text, then you will be able to see if you actually are a slower than average reader and what you can do about it.

I really hope it isn't demoralizing, I am a fairly slow reader. A Song of Ice and Fire has been my main read for almost a year now. I challenged myself to read the last book within a month, and that's where it all started. My Kindle's progress shows numbers that are way too low, I find myself reading what it thinks will take 20 minutes for about double that time. So, I estimated the word count and divided it by what I think my words per minute is, around 150 after having to look up characters and words.

Lemex likes this.
  8. VirtuallyRealistic

Nice to see you here. Hope Reddit's hug-of-death didn't cause too much issue. :p

It took me about 2 weeks for each book in ASoIaF, but that was because I put in long hours everyday. I was absorbed in it from the start. Great series, can't wait for the next one. I'm going to try and drag The Winds of Winter out as it will be another 5-6 years before A Dream of Spring.

9. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

What a great little site! And kind of inspiring, in that Thomas Pynchon's V. is 150,000 words. That's a good 400 page novel. That's encouraging for when you are writing something. :)

10. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Hi Lemex,

I'd like to ask a favour...I'm planning to use a bit of Latin, and I'd like to be sure it's not utter rubbish. I've run it through Google Translate, I'd be grateful if you could take a look and let me know if it's good enough?

Thanks,

Almighty god, we pray that our deliberations here below may be guided by your wisdom from above and that we may, as in all things, do your work

Omnipotens Deus patrum nostrorum duxisti oramus vestram gradientium desursum hic possumus et secundum omnia opera tua

11. Lemex

You are never going to get it to say exactly that, but this is roughly it:

Omnipotens Deus. Normam dirigatur oramus nos ut sapientia vos supremus, ut, et quod, omnia opera tua.

What you put isn't too far from the mark as far as I am concerned, the rules of grammar mean that it doesn't quite say what you want it to say - doesn't even really in a way make any sense. And even then, I'm getting the feeling you could take issue with my rendition too. Latin grammar is really complicated. :3

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    Shadowfax likes this.
  12. Ivana

Ivana Senior Member

Me to. I read sloooooowly. When I really like a book, I read almost every sentence twice. I guess that's why I can remember awful lot of details from, let's say, ASOIAF, years after I read it (and that one has a lot of details).

13. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Thanks, Lemex, that's super.

14. Lemex

It's not a problem.

Just as an example, if you didn't make 'Omnipotens Deus' it's own little sentence, your sentence would say something like 'We pray that you can do the work of our ever-present God, the god of our fathers, all according to your word'.