1. The Peanut Monster

The Peanut Monster New Member

Academic work

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by The Peanut Monster, Jul 8, 2013.

Hi all,

Just a question about where the appropriate place is for getting/giving feedback on academic work and publishing? Are these issues intended to be covered at all in the forum? I'm talking of course about the writing style and form / publishing focus rather than content critiques (which would probably preclude publication anyway).

I understand that the forum has a significant creative focus, but was wondering if there was a place, or could be, for academic or formal writing, which as we all know has a decidedly different tone to creative work. I know there are other forums and websites that cover this, but just wondered if there was a specific decision here at some point to avoid that kind of forum support. The "essay" and "non-fiction" sections seem to be more dedicated to biographical/opinion and uncited work.

Thanks for any thoughts!

Mike

2. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

it still fits into the 'non-fiction' category, so if there are few threads there relating to academic work, that only means there are few members who work in that area... which then means there is no need to have a specific sub-section for it...

3. Daniel

Daniel I'm sure you've heard the rumors Founder Staff

Hey Mike,

I think the non-ficiton and essay subforum would probably be the best spot (I recently posted an essay there - with citations - for critique). If you post there and you're looking for feedback on something specific, such as writing style, just mention that in the first post.

4. The Peanut Monster

The Peanut Monster New Member

Thanks Maia and Daniel for clarifying :)