1. TheLeonard112

TheLeonard112 Sūpākūru Senpai

Your Writing Goal

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TheLeonard112, Nov 2, 2012.

I am going to ask a question that I didn't know what section to put it in so I picked the lounge. Writing is hard and I can almost say for sure that you are disapointed of your writing sometimes. Think that it is missing something. What is the show, story, movie, anime, or cartoon you wish you're writing was as deep as and got as many people so serious about it to the point they love it? Or just what is your goal in general? Mine is One Piece (Manga/Anime) for sure. I love One Piece and can be very deep and very emotional and inspiring. It draws me into the characters and I just adore it. I wish as many people would come to love my writing as much as I love One Piece.

2. Kingtype

Kingtype Banned Contributor

Um Dresden Files, Hellblazer (When written by Garth Ennis) I basically have far to many things to name that I could consider inspiring I can't really pick a favorite story. But as for goal I want to be a best selling author and if not that I'd work at DC Comics. When I write I mainly want the reader just want the reader to have fun and be happy enough to pick up the next book. I'd also like my stories to be remembered. So I guess you could say I want people to enjoy what I write and fun reading it.

3. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

My goal is for my story to be remembered long after it's initial publication.

I want to be like Orwell's 1984, or William Goldings Lord of the Flies or Anne Tylers Breathing Lessons or even
    Margaret Atwood's the Handmaid's Tale.
    I don't know if I want my tale to be loved so much as I want it to stick in the readers head, and make them think.
    I want to provoke something in them.

4. Kinch

Kinch New Member

To answer your first question, I want to write a Ulysses, Gravity's Rainbow, or Pale Fire. Actually, more than one. More than two as well. I don't want to have a Ken Kesey-sort of career.

5. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Alive in the Superunknown

I want people to enjoy and identify with what and who I write.

6. Selbbin

Selbbin The Moderating Cat Staff Contributor Contest Winner 2023

To make something I am happy with.

7. Kectacoco

Kectacoco New Member

This, but with the caveat that at least one other person genuinely likes what I've written as well. Preferably many persons! An ambitious goal, I know, but hopefully achievable before decade's end. :p

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

One of my goals is to teach people to write emotion and emphasis through word choices, and not by bolding and changing font size.

9. Selbbin

A noble goal.

10. Rafiki

Rafiki Active Member

haha. I enjoyed that

11. idle

idle Active Member

The right font size for emphasis is the empha-size.

3 people like this.
  12. Fivvle

Fivvle Member

I want to make something that I would love to read.

13. Selbbin

That deserves a reward.

14. chicagoliz

chicagoliz Contributor Contributor

This, exactly. I'd be ecstatic if one other person said they identified with my MC and loved what he thought, said, and did. That they thought about the character or the story long after they'd finished reading it. That would be my ultimate dream fulfilled.

15. The Crazy Kakoos

The Crazy Kakoos New Member

Haha, I'd been drinking and thought it was just me.

16. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

I want to write something that emotionally moves people in many ways and something that has iconic and highly developed characters to make a pulse-pounding classic.

17. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

as i'm first and foremost a practicing philosopher, i write to enlighten, not entertain...

but i write my philosophical works in an entertaining way, so as reach more readers than the dry, pedantic style of most philosophers would...

18. Prism

Prism Banned

There is no particular story or movie, etc. that I'm aspiring to be like. My ultimate goal, however...is notoriety. I want people to read my name or my team's name and know who I/we are. I want to leave something in this world when I'm gone, feel that sense of accomplishment that comes with completing something like a novel or a game.

Additionally, I would like for one of my games to be so well-received that it brings recognition to a fairly unknown genre here in the states: visual novels.

19. cmshepard

cmshepard New Member

As much as I would love to be a Stephen King or Dan Brown, I don't think that's quite possible.

What I do want is to be known - for what yet, I don't know. It won't be for my outstanding use of the semicolon, but maybe for painting a picture or creating realistic characters. It could even be for just mind-melting the crap out of people.

As long as something distinguishes me from everyone else out there, I'll be happy. Then it'll be time to pick a new goal - maybe it could be getting published.

20. Freya

Freya New Member

I would love to write a novel or perhaps a few novels. I wish to simply make someone feel like they were there in my book and then after they are finished have them spend days thinking about my story. : )

21. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

My goal is to write a movie script alone, or as a collaboration, using one of my many ideas, and see a film maker actually give me a chance to pitch it. I know if I could just get a little face to face time with a film maker, good things would happen. Personally I work as hard as I can to come up with something unique that no one else has ever before. Right now I have 4 strong movie ideas where I have the entire movie in my head. I have to soon be getting them out of there or my brain will quit learning because there is no more megabytes left!

22. MasterOfSuspense

MasterOfSuspense New Member

I hope to publish several novels, including six book series which I've had planned in my head for a while, and establish a decent-sized fan-base with which I can identify and interact with.

23. Ian J.

Ian J. Active Member

To write a series of books, all linked but not absolutely dependent on each other, that echoes the likes of 'Star Wars', 'Dune', etc. But I would like to do it my own way, and I hope it could be seen as an 'original' view of such storytelling and not just a rehash of already trodden paths.

Hehe, don't ask for much, do I? :D

24. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I would love to be known for my use of language. I'd love to have a reputation as a superb stylist.

And I'd rather write one classic that's still in print 100 years after my death than fifty popular novels that, while they might make me a lot of money, will be utterly forgotten when I'm gone.

25. Lewdog

Lewdog Come ova here and give me kisses! Supporter Contributor

Why would you give up writing to work at a hair salon?

:confused: