1. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

A fairly vague request for recommendations of books based in/on cities

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by prettyprettyprettygood, Dec 8, 2011.

I have realised that what I love reading about in fiction is cities, and how life goes on in them. I don't mind if the city is real or fictional, as long as it features heavily in the story- the streets and alleyways, the streetfood, the rich and poor areas, etc.

It's a bit of a long shot, but could anyone recommend any books I might like to try based on this preference?! I'm not fussed about genre, I like all sorts. As examples I've recently really enjoyed The City and the City by China Meiville, I love the Discworld novels (especially those based in Ankh-Morpork :)) and I've always liked Jeeves and Wooster, particularly the parts based in London.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

2. Banzai

Banzai One-time Mod, but on the road to recovery Contributor

Jeff Vandermeer's Ambergris books would probably appeal to you. They're similar to Meiville's being neck deep in "the new weird", and centre around the fictional, titular city of Ambergris. I've only read Finch, but it was very good, and I would definitely recommend it.

3. prettyprettyprettygood

prettyprettyprettygood Active Member

Ooh, just looked that up and it does look ideal - thanks for the recommendation!