1. disasterspark

disasterspark Active Member

Would he accept her?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by disasterspark, Sep 16, 2018.

I've been writing down some notes, all that good stuff. When suddenly I came up with this new arc.

So first I would like to refer to one of my earlier post here.

https://www.writingforums.org/threads/is-it-possible-for-these-two-people-to-fall-in-love.158583/#post-1688550

If I can give you a short rundown of what this new arc is. There are two girls and one guy, whom we'll call "Guy". We'll call the girl from the previous post "Girl 1" and the one I'm talking about in this post "Girl 2".

So we'll start in your average dystopian future. Things are terrible. And the Guy is a criminal. Girl 2 is 100% with the government (even a sort of mascot) and spies on, rats on, and tries to catch the Guy, never wanting to kill them and thinking that the government would only kill if it was the LAST resort, only capturing and put to justice. The Guy meets Girl 1 and they are both teammates a part of a resistance team that's not important right now. They fight the government, and I guess maybe the resistance "wins" somehow. Not completely taking down the government but certainly landing a huge hit. After that, Girl 1 dies sacrificing herself for Guy.

After that, Girl 2 realizes just how terrifying and dystopian the government really is and pulls a Darth Vader from Return of the Jedi. She becomes disenchanted and disassociates herself with the now-crippled government. She wants to apologize to Guy and now take down the government once and for all. Would they fall in love again? Would Guy even forgive her if he knew that she once legitimately believed that the government was good and believed the lies herself?

2. MusingWordsmith

MusingWordsmith Shenanigan Master Contributor

Aright- so I have issues with a lot of romances and this is ticking some of those boxes. First of all, why does realizing the government is evil have to mean 'oh I want to hook up with this guy now'? Also, if the resistance is in the position of power the fact she's jumping ship then might get her some side-eyes. People might think she's only joining because she wants to be on the 'winning' team.

But as for them actually falling in love, I'd say that depends on the characters. If the guy is the type to give her a second chance, then aright. If he's not, then not. And she might not be the type to be interested in pursuing a relationship either. It depends on how you write them.

Just please don't force them into a relationship. Make it something that the characters could plausibly want for themselves.

Simpson17866 likes this.
  3. Irina Samarskaya

Irina Samarskaya Senior Member

It depends entirely on his personality. Personally, I wouldn't. Blind faith is an insult to God, as is blind loyalty to those who are truly loyal.

However some people are more forgiving than others. And I know guys are much more forgiving than girls--especially of girls. Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if the protagonist forgave Girl 2 unless Guy is not the forgiving type (and since he's a criminal, presumably an actual one and not an unjustly framed one, I'd assume he's not only unforgiving but also amoral).

4. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Why don't you just take a resolution from any one of the hundreds of stories your plot already resembles?

(Sorry, couldn't help myself...)

DeeDee likes this.
  5. LastMindToSanity

LastMindToSanity Contributor Contributor

Honestly, your story sounds pretty similar to a series I've read. The first book is called "Legend" and it's about this guy named Day and this girl whose name I can't remember. Basically, the same thing happens between the girl, the guy, and the government that you outline. Except, I think that rebellion might also be bad, in a way? I don't know, it's a pretty down-in-the-dumps kind of story with only a few notable happy points. Also, I'm not sure about the whole sacrificing thing in "Legend".

Anyway, you might want to try reading that for ideas and references for your story, it might provide valuable insight for what you want to create. Their relationship subplot felt natural, so I think it would be a good reference for what you want to do.

6. DeeDee

DeeDee Contributor Contributor

People fall in love for no particular reason. It doesn't have to be logical. People have fallen in love with captors and abusers. Just give your characters a reason. It doesn't matter what reason. Just write the story in a way that it makes that reason believable. Who thought that somebody would love Shrek?? Maybe just his own kind. There you go, we'll make the princess actually be his own kind, problem solved! Love also makes people blind, as the saying goes. So that guy could totally forgive, because love heals all. If he's in love, he'll be seeing her in a different light. Anything goes.