1. glennmid101

glennmid101 New Member

Being able to read a computer

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by glennmid101, Oct 14, 2012.

Not the best phrase to use, but my idea revolves around a person who can read computer programme.

He goes to Vegas for a sales convention, and while killing time goes on a Video Blackjack machine. From the minute he puts the coin into the slot, he senses what the cards are going to be and wins a lot of money.

As the story develops, Matthew, the character, can tell if a computer device has a virus on it, and is able to understand if a device has a software problem.

I don't want to go down the shadowy, conspiratorial route, but in a way he helps the government, say to help break encrypted traffic.

The odd thing is my idea started by accident, I was playing blackjack online, had two tens, hit the double button by mistake and got an ace, then it got me thinking, what if I knew the card was going to be an ace.

Thanks in advance.

2. glennmid101

glennmid101 New Member

I don't to go down the accident or coma route, an idea would be for the character to suffer a major loss, like a wife or girlfriend, an event that knocks his thought process so out of whack, he is able to get in touch with the ability.

3. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

do you have a question?

if not, why are you posting this info?...

4. ManOfSteel

ManOfSteel Member

The power to "sense" and manipulate machines with the mind is called technopathy (or technokinesis) in case you were wondering...

5. robertpri007

robertpri007 New Member

I have only one piece of advice, and that is to be very careful when writing about computer technology, unless that is the primary subject. I assume this is fiction so not about computers. The reason is simple. By the time you finish, let's say months later, computer technology will have changed.

I am amused when reading a story about the characters utilizing the so called, "latest computer technology" and my grand daughter's laptop is better and faster.

If your story includes computers, be vague, or it will be sadly outdated when you are ready to submit it.

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

And even more so by the time it is accepted and published, unless you are a well-known author whose work will be pounced upon before the ink is dry.

7. psychotick

psychotick Contributor Contributor

Hi,

Can't remember where the word comes from but I've also heard similar abilities called technomancy.

By the way, if you've already stuffed the coin in the blackjack machine isn't it already too late to back out of the bet even if you know a bung cards's coming up?

Cheers, Greg.