1. d.sangria119

d.sangria119 New Member

Help me, I need a dilemma!

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by d.sangria119, May 8, 2010.

Sorry for the cheesy title. I couldn't help it, though I should have.

My last post was in 2009. :p

My situation is this: I have two characters that have to undergo parallel experiences. I have a situation worked out for the one, but I cannot think of a parallel situation for the other character. They live in different time periods set hundreds of years apart (one in the middle ages) and one in the 21st century. So obviously things need to be adjusted with keeping the times in mind.

One character, a secondary character (in that the story doesn't revolve around him) whose experiences the main character's parallel is met with a dilemma. He is an agent of sorts and is assigned to infiltrate another enemy's ranks. He does this and is obligated to call an attack when things are ready. In the process he fell in love with a daughter of an enemy officer, though. Due to circumstances he had to call an attack. Because of various reasons which are too many to describe he decides to make a run with her and leave them all behind. But they are pursued, and the girl is killed. He is unable to save her, but he survives after fending off the pursuers.

The backstory of the protagonist, who the story should really be about: He moves to a new city with his father, an only child. He enrolls in the high school and makes friends, &c. &c. There comes a point at which his experiences has to parallel the final tragedy of the agent aforementioned. But it can not be military - it has to revolve around everyday things, i.e. a terminal illness of a girl he grows close to perchance (though there aren't exactly 'enemies' to defeat); but nothing like loan sharks, mafia, etc. One in which the situation is preventable but seemingly fateful (other than, but not unlike, a car accident).

I'm truly stuck here. Any ideas might get me going. It helps to at least write this down. This is the last thing I need to get this story going. :)

Thanks, as always.

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

War parallels are easier, I think, then the infiltrating-behind-enemy-lines thing.

Possible war parallels could be:

- Sports.
    - The law - he's a lawyer and the enemy are the lawyers for the other side of the case.
    - Academic competition.
    - Business competition - maybe he's engaging in industrial espionage.

ChickenFreak

3. rory

rory Active Member

First thing I thought of:
    His old school and new school have hated each other since the dawn of time becasue... just becasue. MC tries to hide the fact, falls for a popular girl, truth comes out, she chooses him anyway, yadda yadda yadda... She dies socially, he is unscathed because he graduates, or moves again, or wins the lottery, or just doesn't care...

Social standing is, for some reason, critically important to many young people. If you don't want anything out of the ordinary to be your parallel, I think you best bet is to play with the social hirarchy present in all high schools. You've already introduced the behind-enemy-lines idea by having him start at a new school. Maybe throw a school gang in there for a bit more physical action.

4. Lankin

Lankin Member

Alright ... The question is really to which extent the events have to be parallel.
    Summary of 2nd char, boiled down:

2nd char., war screnario:
    - agent, infiltrating enemy ranks
    - falling in love with enemy's daughter
    - fulfiling his role he has to call an attack
    - he makes a run with her, means he is making up his mind, in her favor.
    - pursuit, girl is killed, he survives.

An idea for the mc would be:
    - pupil at this new school (this can be like infiltrating enemy ranks, trust me on that :p)
    - falling in love with his most-hated teacher's daughter
    At this point I would not do a 1:1 copy anymore.
    Suggestion: The mc finds out the girl he is in love with is abused by her father, his most-hated teacher. We assume he is not a natural coward, so of course he wants to get her out of there and furthermore, make her father pay for it.
    He comes up with a plan, they are going to leave together (Would be a bit parallel to the attack in the war scenario).

She somehow doesn't want to leave at once, and asks him to wait. They agree on making a run after the mc's exams, in 1 week's time. (She is also quite bright, realizing that running away from home isn't really that easy. Unknown to the mc, her father might even find out about their plan.)

Morning of the exam, most-hated teacher in front of the class, mc writing. A lady comes in, whispering in the teacher's ear something like, "Your daughter has been taken to hospital." Teacher asking back, not caring if somebody overhears really -- it turns out she has tried to kill herself, her condition is serious.
    The mc first wants to go for the teacher's throat, then deciding to leave this for another time. He rushes to the hospital, of course arriving later than the father.
    He may probably not be allowed in her room, so he is forced to stay outside, watching through the door crack how she dies in the arms of her abusive father.
    Other possibility:
    They really run away together, staying at some motel, her father finds out where they are, calls her, threatens her. After this happens for the third time in a row, she commits suicide, mc finds her, she dies in his arms.

Sorry, this is the best I can think of. Very melodramatic :)

5. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Your idea bears some resemblance to Darren Aronofsky's movie The Fountain. :)

Perhaps the girl has fallen in love with the boy, but there's an ex-boyfriend who is hell-bent on punishing the boy for stealing his girlfriend. One night while returning home from a date the boy and girl pull up beside the ex-boyfriend and a bunch of his friends at a stoplight. They're drunk. Threatening words are exchanged and the boy and girl take off. The ex pursues in his car, which is faster and he quickly catches up. Reckless driving ensues as ex-boyfriend swerves toward them as if to run them off the road. This could be a good (if mildly cliche) action scene. Then the boyfriend loses control of his car and wrecks. The girl dies.

That should do the trick.

6. d.sangria119

d.sangria119 New Member

Your ideas are all fantastic and inspiring. I greatly appreciate all the thought you put into it. As such I think I've found a direction to go in. :)

7. Ro-J

Ro-J New Member

I'm still new at this... but what about this idea. I agree with suggestions of high school scenarios or even college.

An accurate summary of your one character's dilemma is as follows:
    2nd char- war scenario:
    - agent, infiltrating enemy.
    - falling in love with enemy's daughter
    - fulfilling his role he has to call an attack
    - he makes a run with her, means he is making up his mind, in her favor.
    - pursuit, girl is killed, he survives.
    (This is a good summary, and makes a nice plot for the character)

The other character in a high school or even college situation could be the following:
    -The guy could infiltrate a different clique (example from jock to artist) or group at school, or even between fraternities. This could be due to some competition between the groups or houses, whether it is for a trophy, money or privileges the others would then forfeit.
    - he could fall in love with the daughter of the corrupt principal/ dean of the school. Or even the younger sister of his nemesis that he is supposed to be sabotaging. Like the leader of the enemy fraternity.
    - The guy then follows through with the sabotage, against his conscience.
    - The girl he is in love with could then be devastated at the betrayal and drive off in her car.
    -While in pursuit of her, to beg her forgiveness, he witnesses her car crash. They could even be in the same car if you want- of course he survives.

> If you want, here are also more variations on the plot line above.

-Like Lankin suggested, there could be abuse involved by the father of the girl- aka the dean/ principal
    - then they run off, being followed by the father until a confrontation happens where the guy is held at gun point by the father,or her brother, but tragically she gets killed instead by accident thus saving his life.

It is just a rough idea, but hey, any idea is something to work with. Hope it helps. :)

8. MJ Preston

MJ Preston Banned

delete