1. Holden Caufeild

Holden Caufeild New Member

England at the turn of the century

Discussion in 'Research' started by Holden Caufeild, Jun 1, 2014.

Anybody got some good primary sources from the city of Liverpool England between the years 1900-1910? I've been researching the large Irish community that immigrated there in the 1840's to escape the famine and have been working on a piece of Historical fiction mainly about the first world war but in order to properly cover my protagonist's life story I need to figure out what kids did in their time outside of school while their fathers worker the docks and their mothers tended to the home.

Really, anything about the Irish Potato famine, Liverpool England or World War I would be appreciated-- it's an obscure topic I know but to the best of my knowledge nobody has ever written about it.

Thanks in advance!

- H.C

2. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I would guess that many of the kids also either worked or tended the home. I mention this because it seems like the sort of thing that one could miss entirely by searching for recreational activities, rather than child labor.

Edited to add: And I'd also suggest researching/confirming the idea that they went to school.

...and the idea that the women stayed home rather than also going out to work.

...and the idea that there was a home big enough to tend, rather than the family living in a rented room or two.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  3. Holden Caufeild

The input is appreciated!

I have come to understand that The Education Act 1902 allowed local authorities to create secondary schools which drastically increased the number of kids not working in factories in England and Wales but with this story revolving around a poor family Irish family living in the slums that likely couldn't afford to enroll a child in one of these secondary schools I now wonder what kinds of jobs children did, their pay and how it affected them later in life.

This could really be quite helpful at driving the anti-capitalist/imperialist message home, that is, if this story ever really comes together.

4. Holden Caufeild

(deleted)

5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'd research "child labor". Wikipedia has an adequate starter article with a number of references. Speaking of factories, it notes that the regulations limiting some child labor in some factories resulted in more home-based manufacturing, again done with child labor.