1. Restless Dreamer

Restless Dreamer New Member

Horror game story introduction

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Restless Dreamer, May 4, 2009.

I'm sorry for regestering just to make this thread but I can't find anywhere else that can help me. I'm working on a psychological horror game script that uses Eternal Darkness-like techniques to scare the players but unlike eternal darkness, it will actually be scary and not just something to piss you off. The idea is right but i just can't find a good way for introduction, the rest of the story is set but the intro is killing me! i've tried things from waking in the middle of the action to having psychotic dreams about his mentaly unstable sister (whom has a massive role in the story) and having him begin his search for her. I would tell you more but someone could rip it off and make something of it before I do. :(

Note: if you see the reference in my name then add insight because you know what a good PsyHorrGame is. ;)

2. arron89

arron89 Banned

...Eternal Darkness was awesome. The sanity meter, the insane things that happen to you....the Lovecraft references....and yeah, without knowing more of the plot there's no way anyone could help you. And are you writing this to submit to a video game studio? cuz if so its kinda a waste of time, they never ever accept unsolicited game concepts, yet alone full scripts. But if its just for you, then cool.

3. g1ng3rsnap9ed

g1ng3rsnap9ed New Member

Wish that I could help, but I haven't the slightest clue how to write a video-game script. Best of luck though. ;)

4. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

Wasn't Eternal Darkness just a test of the sanity effects that would be later used in Call of Cthulhu: The Dark Corners of the Earth?

5. arron89

arron89 Banned

Never heard of that one....Eternal Darkness was a complete game on its own though, so if it was just a test, it was a very thorough one...

6. Mello

Mello New Member

I'd say, begin in a very calm and nurturing environment with pretty but slightly creepy music, where something isn't quite right. It slowly gets weirder, and suddenly, something full-on insane happens and they're in the game. I know I'm being vague, but you didn't really give us too much to go on. As a gamer, I would prefer that experience much more to a dream sequence intro (so cliche in games) or waking up in the middle of the action (constant action is numbing in games).

7. schrei

schrei New Member

How about the use of mirrors? You could start with the character observing himself in the mirror, a wee conversation going onto himself, and then you see something freaky in the reflection. That would cause the player to start the search for what was behind them, and as Mello said, put in the freaky music.