Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MacBookProse

MacBookProse New Member

Do you keep a reading list?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by MacBookProse, Jun 3, 2011.

I bought a Kindle in February (I love it, btw) and bought a bunch of books for it. I kept buying and buying until, now, I have a pretty decent amount on the device. Feel a little overwhelmed, I thought it best I keep a list to organize the books into a good order for me to read them in.

Has anyone else done this? Or are you more of a "I'm in the mood to read this" type of reader?

I'm probably going to give up keeping a list since it is starting to get a little overwhelming itself. I feel a need to organize them into patterns (nonfiction, fiction, nonfiction etc.) and the whole exercise has gotten away from me. It's actually embarrassing how many I've added and the lengths I go to add even just one book into the fold.

Anyone else experience this?

2. kennychaffin

kennychaffin New Member

I kind-of keep two lists, Books/Stories to be read (from several recommendation and interest lists) and a list of best books/stories I've read.

And yes, I have a very large TBR list and books both electronic and paper. I'd have no idea what to do if I ever caught up. :)

3. arron89

arron89 Banned

I have a long, long, long list, and it grows far faster than I can read...there are whole movements, whole periods, whole countries where I haven't read anything, but I figure that's what retirement's for?

4. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

I have a really long list of books to read, and I'm always checking out 5 or so at a time so I can read them and cross them off the list. I keep adding books faster than I can read them, though. :p

5. art

art Contributor Contributor

I usually have a vague list of three or four titles that I intend to read next. No grand schemes in mind. Usually, those three or four titles give rise to further lines of inquiry - to the next three or four.

6. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Yes. I have lists. The more I write, the more detailed my lists become by things that are meaningful for me. I have lists of my favorite books. Books I want to read, Books I've tried to read but never could get into, books on certain writing styles, time periods, books that I need read before I die... suffice to say, it's so long that I'm constantly reading.

I'm also either reviewing, critiquing, or writing an essay on every book I read now.

7. never_enough

never_enough New Member

I keep around 3 lists - favourite books, books to read, and books I've read.

8. East

East New Member

No lists here, apart from mental notes of books I want to read next. Although it is a good idea. I imagine starting a list would be interesting for your future grand kids to see what you read over your lifetime.

I bought a Kindle recently too, and I find it hilarious that the thing holds up to 3,500 books! A serious fast paced reader would need about a decade to finish that off. Even with a few dozen eBooks, It leaves me searching for which book I want to read the most.

9. kennychaffin

kennychaffin New Member

What's even funnier is that some people complain about it having no memory card slot to expand the storage. :D

10. _Lulu_

_Lulu_ New Member

I have around 18 (-/+ a few) books but I just keep adding to it, I can't help it. Everytime I go in a bookshop I spend ages browsing all the rows which interest me. Sometimes I come out with about 3 new books and then it makes my choice harder on deciding what to read next, upon deciding, I just keep a mental list (which is subject to change :rolleyes:)

When it comes to books to buy, that's normally a mental list too, however, sometimes I'll write it down so I don't forget because it has happened on more than one occassion I've seen a book in a shop and thought, I'll add that to my mental list and then to have completely forgotten the book title and author.

11. Daydream

Daydream Contributor Contributor

I should keep one lol...I just keep buying books, even thought I still have like 10 others to read. Don't think I'll ever finish reading my library xD

12. heyitsmary

heyitsmary New Member

I have a ridiculously long reading list that I can't seem to stop adding to.

13. Velox

Velox Member

I basically do what you did, except with books -- I have a bunch of books that I keep buying [usually at a used book store for between $1-$5] to further my collection.

I don't really have any intended order to read them in, except that I tend to want to read writers that I haven't read from before, that way if I like it I can buy more from that author/the rest in that series. Otherwise it's just what I have on my shelf that interests me, since I have many more than I have read.

14. funkybassmannick

funkybassmannick New Member

I have a ton of books on my shelf and can read pretty much anything I could possibly in the mood for. One of my favorite things is finishing a book and spending a few minutes to figure out which book I'm going to read next.

15. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

Whenever I go to the library, I end up checking out a ton of books from my list and tearing through them. It's addicting to read and it makes me feel accomplished crossing them off my list. :p

16. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

In my head I have a list of around 200 books that I want to read. I know you're thinking how can anyone keep a list that long, but it's very real. Most of it includes classics, or books everyone has read. But I very rarely read a book of this list, but whatever I find in the library.

I do however keep a list of the books I've read from cover to cover. Unfortunatley being at uni means I tend to just read whole chapters or articles on a regular basis instead of books. (I'm an arts student not literature.) So I don't allow myself to put them on the list!

I really do follow self imposed rules to the T.

17. Rascal

Rascal New Member

People are always giving me recommendations for books to read, and I always say "Sure, I'll put it on my reading list." However, there is no reading list, and there never has been one.

I just read whatever I can find, hoping from one narrative to the next without any real guide or plan.

However, if anyone lets me borrow a book, or buys me something, then I feel obligated to read that next.

18. Velox

Velox Member

Totally agree; it's one of my favorite things to just be able to spend a few minutes deciding which book I'll read next too.

19. darkhaloangel

darkhaloangel Active Member

Ah, don't get me started on book shops. I know a place that sells three books for a pound, and I literarly have a whole cupboard full of them. My summers are spent trying to get rid of them on ebay.

20. looneywriter

looneywriter New Member

I keep a reading list, but I'm a "read what I'm in the mood to read" person. I'm a member of GoodReads.com, which is great for keeping your books organized. You can sort them by different "shelves."

For example: "read" "to-read" "currently reading" and share your suggestions with others, post reviews and follow your favorite authors to see what they have coming out soon. It's a fun site.

21. Eunoia

Eunoia Contributor Contributor

I'm a member of goodreads.com too. I've got about fifty or so on my 'to read' list on there, but I know I want to read far more books than that. Despite having that list though, I always end up discovering other books I want to read instead in case I forget about them. So I don't stick to my list. I like choosing books too, rather than just going in and getting whatever I intended to.

22. Suadade

Suadade New Member

If I had the discipline, I might keep a reading list and actually follow it too. But I know myself well enough to know that it's all a futile endeavor, so I just pick the books I read as I go along.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.