1. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

Afterword, or not?

Discussion in 'Children's & Young Adult' started by Steerpike, Jun 10, 2019.

Hey all:

I'm finishing up a book of horror stories for the middle grade audience. I expect it will go over like a lead balloon due to the fact that the stories are all very grim, but it is more of a personal labor of love because my kids always complained that stories they read weren't scary enough and these are some I developed from telling tales to them.

In any event, my work for children is typically very upbeat and pleasant. My other product for the same market is unfailingly optimistic and happy. As I've thought about this horror project, I've considered a short "afterward," for lack of a better term, thanking the child for going along on the harrowing journey in the book but reminding the reader that we can enjoy the vicarious scares that come with grim stories while still recognizing that the world is a beautiful place. I haven't thought through the exact wording yet. I'm not even sure it is needed or desired. What do you all think?

2. Maverick_nc

Maverick_nc Contributor Contributor

Steerpike likes this.
  3. Steerpike

I thought of Dahl a few times while working on these stories. I loved his work as a kid. Where his stories have a strong element of the fantastic that remove the events so far from the real world that it blunts the edge of the terrible things that happen, mine are very much grounded in the real world. I mean, there are supernatural elements and the like, but they come about in stories firmly rooted in every day life. I want something in the back to the reader's mind to say "this could happen to me," while reading.

So it's a different approach from Dahl, though I absolutely loved his stories (and so did my kids).

4. Maverick_nc

It will be interesting to see how your tales are received. I shared the Dahl article to show that even the fantastic (-al?) has darker roots.

In answer to your question, it really depends how terrifying these stories are. I don't think a brief afterword could do any harm, but, would a child actually read this part or simply assume the stories are finished and not bother?

Steerpike likes this.
  5. Steerpike

A child might just skip right past it. Someone suggested that I put the message into a story somehow, like as a conversation between characters, where it is more likely to be read. But that seems artificial.

I don't know whether they're truly terrifying stories or merely disturbing. My beta readers, who are adults, have responded positively, though one told me that while she really liked one of the stories she wouldn't let her child read it.

As I said, it's more of a personal project--something that had its origin in stories for my own kids. If it isn't received particularly well, that's OK. But I do want to do the best job with it I can.

Maverick_nc likes this.
  6. Maverick_nc

I agree about not slipping the message inside a story, that could easily feel forced and out of place.
    If your audience is children, then surely you need beta's who are children? Can you make like the Pied Piper and 'borrow' some?

Edit: is it not afterwOrd like in foreword?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    Steerpike likes this.
  7. Steerpike

I have a couple of nieces in the right age range, and my sister is a teacher for that same age group. When it's all done I'm planning to have them all take a crack at it and maybe make adjustments based on what they say :)

Maverick_nc likes this.
  8. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

It's been a long time since I read them, but wasn't Lemony Snicket good at addressing the audience in that way?

Steerpike likes this.
  9. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Can't tell you what to do for your audience, but I'd be looking out for your book and I'd very much like an afterword :)

Steerpike likes this.
  10. Steerpike

*Yes, afterWORD :) Sorry about that.

Lifeline likes this.
  11. Steerpike

I never read those. My kids liked them. I'll have to take a look.

12. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

I remember at least two different times I clicked this thread because I was confused about a grammar-thread being put in general writing ;)

13. Steerpike

Haha. I wonder if I can edit the title to prevent confusion...?

Lifeline likes this.
  14. Steerpike

The answer is no.

15. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Maybe a foreword instead? Putting it after seems a bit too late, unless we're assuming the stories are all going to be read in one big binge.

16. Steerpike

I thought about that, but putting it there kind of spoils the set up and tone of the book, imo. I'm not convinced to do it at all, yet. It's just something I'm mulling over.

17. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

no sooner wondered than sorted ;)

Lifeline likes this.
  18. Steerpike

Gracias!

19. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Didn't Giant Peach James's parents get eaten by a rhinoceros at the zoo or something? That's... pretty horrible. And senseless. And absolutely ridiculous, if you think about it. Kind of like how Charlie's father had a job screwing the caps on tubes of toothpaste. Dahl was kind of a sick puppy.

Maverick_nc and Steerpike like this.
  20. Steerpike

Yes. I think the over the top, fantastic nature of Dahl makes the horrible things more palatable. My characters are every day kids leading every day lives until some part of their world goes very wrong.

21. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Yeah, I found it innocent and cheeky when I was 8. Now that I'm 40, thinking about how James's parents got taken out is depressing as hell.

Maverick_nc and Steerpike like this.
  22. Steerpike

You’re no longer part of the demo. Except that, you know, someone has to buy the books for their kids :)

Homer Potvin likes this.
  23. NigeTheHat

NigeTheHat Contributor Contributor

I don't think it'll hurt at all, though I think I'm with Bayview in that this bit in particular:

Feels like it would make more sense at the start than at the end.

Steerpike likes this.
  24. Steerpike

Thanks, I'm glad you think it is workable. I understand the sentiment about the front of the book, but it'll mess up the whole tone I'm trying to establish at the outset so it can't go there. Has to go at the end.

25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

The point about putting it at the beginning rather than the end, I reckon, isn't so much about ruining the tone, but more about 'warning' the young reader that these stories can be unpleasant and very scary—but that they are just stories. By the time they've read the book, it's a bit late, isn't it?

I remember going to movies (not so much books) and being reminded beforehand that it's 'just a movie' and that 'nothing in that movie ever really happened/happens.' Scary stuff gets put in movies because some people like being scared like that. There are no witches, or vampires, or giants or monsters, etc. Any more than there are fairies or elves or magic wands. It's just fun to imagine there might be.

As a child, that was reassuring to hear. Beforehand. :)

Lifeline likes this.