1. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

a few editing questions

Discussion in 'Revision and Editing' started by ruskaya, Mar 27, 2020.

I keep thinking I have these rules nailed in my mind, but then a pressing urge to check again makes me realize that despite a lot of search, somehow these keep slipping through my fingers, so decided to ask again. In part this feeling of uncertainty is due to the fact that the rules themselves aren't fixed, but I need to know for sure...

in a manuscript what do you use?

1. "Solar System" or "Solar system" or "solar system"?

2. a character is reading out loud a report, gets to an interesting point and utters an "hmm" makes a pause, but then simply continues to read. [-- represents an emdash]
    a) "Blah blah blah--hmmm. Blah"
    b) "Blah blah blah--hmmm--. Blah"
    c) "Blah blah blah--hmmm--blah"

3. -- [emdash] vs. . . . [suspension points]
    When the sentence carries on a thought because I already gave the premises for understanding what comes next (no guessing involved), what do I use at the end, an emdash or suspension points?

When I read about the difference between emdash and suspension points I understand it, but when I put it in practice it becomes all very confusing...

2. Luca Fossum

Luca Fossum New Member

1. I would use "solar system" (which is what my dictionary says), but you can also make an argument for "Solar System" (assuming that you are talking about the solar system. I'd say either is fine as long as you're consistent.

2. (a) and (c) are both fine, I think, but it could depend on where the "hmmm" falls. If in the middle of a sentence, then use (c). If at the end, then go with (a).

3. Generally, the em dash would indicate an interruption (whether self-imposed or external), while the ellipsis is more of a trailing off. I think you're describing the latter, but it might help if you posted an example?

Hope this helps! :)

ruskaya and Seven Crowns like this.
  3. ruskaya

ruskaya Contributor Contributor

thank you for the reply, this really helps, especially #3. I think I get confused because at times the two can be both right, like an interruption could turn into a trailing off. I use the em dash way too much, while I think ellipses are more common as literary device.

4. GraceLikePain

GraceLikePain Senior Member

"Solar System" is the technically correct way to go, because it's a place defined by a specific location. Like if we were talking about planets surrounded by a star, it would be "Antares System", "Arcturus System," etc. I recommend this usage if you're going to have people regularly traveling through space, where it would make a difference. But lowercase wouldn't make me as a reader throw a hissy fit, otherwise.

As far as emdash vs suspension points, the general idea seems to be that emdash is for fast moments -- like a transition or interruption -- where as suspension points are for slow moments, where the character is uncertain or the air is filled with some tense emotion.

ruskaya likes this.