1. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Paramilitary

Discussion in 'Research' started by Shinn, Aug 24, 2010.

Hey all.

After looking through the "Northern Ireland" thread, another problem cropped up in my head last night. Would it be a death sentence if I just go in head-first without talking to the people who are the basis for that part of the script, i.e. the British Parachute Regiment, the IRA, and the Police Service of Northern Ireland (previously the Royal Ulster Constabulary). Or am I just getting really paranoid about ticking someone off with the wrong portrayal?

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

You are getting paranoid.

Do doctor shows actually try and mimic the real deal in hospitals? No. I am sure actual doctors everywhere cringe at the things they se in shows like Grey's Anatomy (fill in the doctor show of your choice). ;)

3. Shinn

Shinn Banned

Cheers again Wrey. I'll try to just write it the way I intended to and just go on views of how they should act.

4. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

Try typing Patrick Kielty Show into Youtube maybe add paramilitaries to the search. I haven't checked what is on there, but he is a comedian. His father was killed by the UFF and he used to do a lot of jokes about the paramilitaries

5. Blips

Blips New Member

Actually they tend to have consultants on-set to attempt to maintain some sort of realism.

While I haven't gone out and interview people for research - I have spent large periods of time online researching topics that I am not familiar with. I guess it depends upon what you're aiming for.

6. Shinn

Shinn Banned

And I know this might sound a bit thick, but I wouldn't be needing active members of the IRA as consultants? :confused:

I'm aiming for a realistic portrayal of what went down in Northern Ireland in the late 90's to early 00's.