0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Insanity

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. kylesesh

kylesesh New Member

How is this for a basic plan

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by kylesesh, Oct 14, 2010.

Ok my story is about a man suffering from amnesia who wakes up on a supposedly abandoned spaceship.

As he walks around the ship he finds other crew members aboard who are just going about their daily work.

And every night he goes to sleep in the room he wakes up in which is apparently his quarters and dreams of a shrouded figure killing all the crew members.

Then when he wakes up all the crew members have minor injuries like cuts or tiny holes in their stomachs / heads which appear to worsen every day until the final day when he finds out the truth of what happened.

the story is going to take place over seven days with 50 pages per day so about 350 pages give or take.

Two names i've thought of are,

Dreams and Insanity

Any advice to the plan i've told you so far.

2. Marcelo

Marcelo Member

I suggest you use any as a working title, and once you finished writing your story you can choose stay with any of those or maybe you can even find a more suitable name. Also, stories are measured by word count, not page count. :)

3. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

I like the title "insanity" much better than "dreams," but if you call it "insanity" then please don't go the route of "The shrouded killer was really the crazy, split-personality MC." That's been overdone, and with a title like "Insanity" the readers will figure it out off the bat.

Pave new territory. :D

And your story sounds awesome, now I want to read it.

1 person likes this.
  4. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

yup!... what marcelo said...

write your story first, then pick a title YOU think best fits it... and what you have there is not a 'plan'... it's just bits of your plot... not even enough for it to be a mini-synopsis yet...

5. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

The story sounds great if I read it as a blurb I would be interested in reading on but neither title grabs me for it - I know with my first it went through a gazillion titles before I found Someone Else's Life which works so well (it has been ANGUS!, First Cove, Royal Oaf and at least a couple others first lol)

6. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has all been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no benefit in asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read What is Plot Creation and Development?

You don't need anyone's approval. Just write it.

7. EdFromNY

EdFromNY Hope to improve with age Supporter Contributor

It sounds like an idea that has grabbed you, and you seem very enthusiastic. You asked for any advice on your plan, and my answer would be that no one knows your plan as well as you do, so anything we might offer regarding the story itself would be, by definition, bad advice.

Don't worry about the title (any working title will do), or what anyone else thinks of your idea. Just go with it. Best of luck.