Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

Tie up games

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by MrInvisible, Sep 10, 2017.

Can you put tie up games between teenagers in a YA fiction novel?

2. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

do you mean bondage ?

Cave Troll likes this.
  3. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    How many teens that you know practice Shibari? o_O

4. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

What in the bloody hell is a tie up game?

Jipset and Cave Troll like this.
  5. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

TBH if you've got a 14 year old transvestite as you mc you probably don't need to introduce a load of 50 shades stuff as well

Homer - I assume he means tying each other up during sex

Cave Troll likes this.
  6. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

Light bondage only

7. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

Non-sexual

8. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Why are they tying each other up then? No snark intended, I'm just confused as to the motivation behind playing this game, which could help answer your question,

9. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

It's a bit of fun between the teens kind of where they challenge each other to escape from their bonds

10. big soft moose

then yes its fine to include in your book - but what does it add to the plot or characterisation ?

Trish likes this.
  11. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

You can do almost anything in a teen book these days. If it's not sexual then you have no problems at all. Trust me, there's a lot worse in my books and no-one's ever had a problem with any of that. Especially if there isn't even the hint of it being sexual then it's not even a worry.

12. Laurin Kelly

Laurin Kelly Contributor Contributor

Is this something teenagers actually do for fun? Honestly asking - I've just never heard of it before.

Cave Troll likes this.
  13. LostThePlot

LostThePlot Naysmith Contributor

Depends on the kids and the world. I presumed that it was some fantasy thing where they were thieves or assassins or something, or circus performers or lots of stuff really. Even just kids who are kinda weird and into escapology and lock picking and such like might do that.

I would agree that in a contemporary setting with reasonably normal kids you'd need a strong reason for them to be doing that but I don't think it's out of the question.

Trish likes this.
  14. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Seeing the other responses, I have a question. If it's completely non-sexual, what is it about it that you think is a problem? Is there something about it that is especially risky? Are they tying someone up and then throwing them in a pool? I don't see why (based on what you've said) there would be any question of a problem, so why do you think there would be?

15. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

Because if I did put it into the book it'd have to be done the right way

16. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Your brevity is admired, but I'm afraid I need more info. Needs to be done the right way... how? Need to describe the knots the right way? Need the kids' reactions to be authentic? Need to make sure it serves a purpose? Need to make sure the rope will hold up properly? Need to make sure they really wouldn't die (or really would)?

Homer Potvin likes this.
  17. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

Your brevity is infuriating @MrInvisible :) Sorry to put it so bluntly, but I feel like we're playing mother-may-I here. Please explain the full scope of your question. What are the tie-up games you describe, how will they be used, why are they important, etc. We can't help you if we have no idea what you're talking about. We see tie-up games and we think hardcore fucking.

Trish, Lemie and Jipset like this.
  18. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

Devil's advocate here, maybe, but if it's not a sexual thing, then it actually sounds like something I used to do as a kid (as in, pre-teen). We were really into escape artists like Houdini, and I'm technically double-jointed - albeit not in one of the cooler ways - so it was great fun for weird, bored kids.

But, caveats: 1) If this isn't pertinent to the plot, eg a character gets kidnapped but they're able to slip out because they've got experience with it, then why include it, and 2) If you feel you need to ask this then I suspect there is a fetish / age-inappropriate aspect to this and you know it.

19. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

The last bit sums up my question, how do you write it so that it looks like they're having fun rather than it sounding sexual

20. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

You still haven't told us why you need it in the book. That's probably necessary for answering the question.

21. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

I can't do that as I'm working out the plots for each chapter as I'm writing

22. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

OK, your question is essentially un-answerable. If you want answers, you're going to have to make it answerable by answering some of the questions that people have asked.

23. izzybot

izzybot (unspecified) Contributor

I guess I'll reiterate - are they interested in escape artists / magic in general? Is there sexual content in the story at all / chemistry between the characters involved? I think it's your phrasing and the fact that you're asking at all that's made people's minds go to bondage. If you treat it as nonsexual hijinks that the characters just find amusing, then I think it'd probably be fine.

When I was a kid it was a passing hyperfixation on escape artistry. I could absolutely see idiot teenager Izzy also getting into it just by seeing something about Houdini on tv, sitting bolt upright, and going, "I bet I could totally do that shit". Portray it as a challenge or an oddball interest or something like that.

24. MrInvisible

MrInvisible Banned

I intend to treat it as non sexual hijinks between my teenage character with maybe a bit of help from their parents/guardians

25. jannert

jannert Retired Mod Supporter Contributor

Now the parents are involved. Is this thread getting weird? :wtf:

Trish, Shadowfax, Lemie and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.