Tags:
  1. Whisper

Whisper New Member

Love is Not a Card Game

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Whisper, Sep 22, 2008.

Title: Love is Not a Card Game
    Author: Whisper (a.k.a: Jeremy Field, pseudonym)
    Genre: Mystery
    Storyline:
    It is the summer and a wealthy lady, Lady Grace Whitley has invited some well respected citizens to come and spend the week with her at her husbands and her lovely estate. The citizens are Anna Murphy, a world class violinist. Robert Sanderson, a friend of Ms Murphy's and a skilled pianist. Inspector Victor Vance, the famous inspector who just so happens to live in town, and his daughter Julia Vance. A reknowed authour Aden Pearson, wrote many books and an autobiography. And Damien Angel, a friend of her ladyships husband.
    The first day is filled with greetings followed by tea. It is during this time that the murder takes place and Lord Albert is found dead in his study. It is then up to the house guests to solve the crime.

Skipping forward, it is found out that the killer did it for love, they wanted to keep their family together. It is revealed below:
    The killer is Julia Vance, she was happy with her life until she and her mother found out that her father was sleeping with Albert Whitley. Her mother was a gold digger, bent on taking Victor Vance's fortune, which could only be obtained when they were married because they were only engaged. So she had Julia kill Arthur.

So what does everyone think, any flaws? Anything else you would like to know?

2. Ungood

Ungood New Member

Ok. Umm let me see if I have this right. Victor Vance and Albert Whitley where homosexual lovers. (Not sure why this might be an issue, but I guess affairs and such would make for some fun plot surprises)

And let me see if I have this down right.

Victor's daughter kills Albert on the say-so of a gold digger that is trying to marry Victor for his money?

3. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

A story concept means nothing. I can tell you now, it has been done before. What matters is how you write it, the characterization, the flow, the imagery, all of it.

There's no point to asking what other people think of the concept! They'll either say,"Sounds great," or, "it sounds like a ripoff of..."

If the idea stirs you, write it. Then ask people what they think of the final story. After they tell you what they don't like about it, revise it, usually several times, until you're happy with it or until you throw up your hands and say the hell with it.

Please read this thread about What is Plot Creation and Development?

(and yes, this is a template post, which should give you an idea of how often this comes up.)

Having said that, I don't see any glaring inconsistencies in the plot summary. But the real test has to come after the story is written out.

4. Ommonite

Ommonite New Member

Sounds like an episode of doctor Who, they've been known to be open about sexuality and stuff. Especially in the recent days.