1. AuthoressM

AuthoressM New Member

Spelling of a Slang Word

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by AuthoressM, Dec 20, 2008.

This is the third time I'm posting this - it keeps disappearing. So if you have responded to it, or if you are reading this for the first time, please don't respond here - please private message me your helpful advice. I would really appreciate it!

The 'slang' version of 'Well' is what I'm having a problem with. I spelled it 'Welp', but I don't know if that is the proper spelling for the 'slang' version, if there is any proper way to spell it. I know the wrong way of spelling it: Whelp. That has an entirely different meaning. So am I spelling it right when I spell it 'W-e-l-p', or is there no correct way? (or is there another way that is correct?)

Any help is much appreciated. (Remember, please don't respond here - please private message me since this thread is likely to disappear as it has two other times.)

EDIT: For some reason, this post did not disappear like it did the two other times. So, it's really up to you if you want to reply here or private message me. Thanks!

2. rory

rory Active Member

I've seen it as 'welp' before, granted it was in a video game, but still, it was the slang for 'well', and worked for the character.

I found this online 'slang' dictionary that entertains me greatly, if you want to check it out here.

3. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

So long as there is clarity in what is being expressed in the writing, then there shouldn't be an issue.

I think the greater question is not whether it is acceptable to use the spelling, but whether the use of the spelling detracts from the telling of the story. Does the use make the reader stop reading and think to themselves, "What the heck is that?" Many of the use and syntax questions I have noticed you pose seem to stem from unusual uses of words, syntax, or spellings.

I would never stifle the creativity of the author, but there comes a point where you have to ask yourself if your wish to use a particular word or spelling is actually working against you. You appear to be lucky enough to have someone who reads your work and gives you feedback. You, of course, are under no obligations to take that person's suggestions as commands, but I have noticed that your friend tends to argue to the side of clarity. Clarity of meaning and intent is a positive goal when writing.

4. AuthoressM

AuthoressM New Member

I do not think I mentioned anyone reading my work in this thread...I can only assume you are refering to the person that proposed that 'cowered' was not proper in a scene from another recent thread of mine. Apart from that one instance, I don't see how you can say that my friend tends to argues on the side of clarity. I have to say I am a bit befuddled by that.

In any case, I agree that clarity is important - but spelling does matter in this instance. What if I were to spell it as 'whelp', as I mentioned above? That would be totally incorrect. Do you see what I mean?

And, if you reference another recent thread in this forum from me, the same friend told me not to put a comma before 'for' when it should in fact be there, which wasn't a question that falls under 'unusual uses of words, syntax, or spellings'. The reason I post questions here is because I like more than one opinion, or points of view, if I cannot definitely tell if something is right or wrong, or if I have a feeling something is not right.

Thanks to everyone for their help .:-D. I really do appreciate it!

5. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Yes, of course, I do see that using whelp would cause more confusion in that this is an actual word with a completely different denotation. My mention of clarity has nothing to do with the use of the spelling welp or whelp, but of the use of a nonstandard spelling altogether.

It appears I have offended. I was only giving one of the very opinions of which you were in search.