1. ladyphilosophy

ladyphilosophy Member

Fantasy Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by ladyphilosophy, Apr 23, 2015.

So fantasy is not my usual genre, neither for reading nor writing, but recently I came up with a story that features magic and witches and I'm really keen on writing it, but I thought it would be unwise to attempt writing in a genre that I never read. So I was just wondering if anyone had any fantasy book recommendations that would be good for me to start with? The story I came up with is set in medieval times so anything in that time period, preferably featuring witches, would be good for me. I would be grateful for any suggestions, thanks :)

2. croak3r

croak3r Member

It might be too dark for what your doing, but i like how The Black Company chronicles handle magic the best. I think it's a book that isn't afraid to use magic to entertain the user in a funny or creative way, while still being able to use it for serious stuff when it's needed. I think magic in books like lotr and GoT is far too reserved and hardly even used.

3. VirtuallyRealistic

VirtuallyRealistic Active Member

Not many witches, but my favorite Fantasy series (favorite series period, really) is currently A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin. It's the series Game of Thrones is based on, and the obvious choice for modern fantasy.

I would also recommend the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. I'm only about 150 pages into the first book, but it's a planned trilogy with two of the books currently available.

4. LOliver

LOliver New Member

If you want a good story with magic in it I'd recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I like the way his magic evolves with each generation of users (it's a LONG series)