1. nasmith

nasmith New Member

Concept trouble

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by nasmith, May 18, 2011.

My story is about a set of obscure mythological Gods (Native Aemrican) having their corner of Paradise devestated and moving to an island off the North East coast of the United States. I want the story to be action oreinted but also with a sense of community with some fish out of water elements as well and hopefully not too much like "Thor" or "American Gods"...

Anyway, after some deliberation I decided that rather than try to co-opt a pantheon already in existence that i would create my own mythological characters. My question now is whether or not that seems like too much of a stretch or even if it would be offensive to some people, mainly the Native Aemrican community. Can a set of made up Gods be as effective as a set people are already familiar with? Avoiding stereotypes, with people invested in mythology be turned off by my creating and playing with some of their archetypes?

Obviously it will require some research to get started but i would love to get some thoughts on this.

2. -oz

-oz Active Member

An easy way to get around this is to not label any of the lands or tribes, simply describe things. People can use their imagination to fill in the world, and if they're from the United States, they'll have an easier time doing so. If you're feeling extra creative, you can come up with a brand new continent to get around your problem.

As for reader interest, I think it depends on how you're going to treat the gods. Do they live with the humans? Do they have their own sacred land that's forbidden to mortals? Are they going to try to save humans when they move? All these questions are involved in creating a pantheon that your readers are going to care about.

3. Lilithmoon

Lilithmoon New Member

I would be more inclined to read a story with a known pantheon than an unfamiliar one. That being said, I appreciate new interpretations of old characters and I am not offended by creative license. :)

4. Infinitytruth

Infinitytruth New Member

I agree with this 212%! :D

It could definitely be offensive if you're writing it off as a certain people's belief and it's not their belief. Especially those who hold extreme to their beliefs in that field. Misrepresenting their beliefs. Like if someone said there were 2 gods in christianity...even in a book I guarantee you that would piss off a lot of christians.

5. Lilithmoon

Lilithmoon New Member

I was under the impression that he was talking about an obscure mythology not an actively practiced religion. I doubt that many people would be offended or even aware of him taking liberties with a dead mythos. Of course, I could be wrong, just my opinion. :)

6. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

Many tribes of Native Americans (and their beliefs) are alive and well. Please don't use them unless you're going to do the research and do it correctly. Otherwise make up new ones entirely. That's just my opinion of course, but as someone who is part Native American and has taken the time to research many of these beliefs and customs (as well as the ones taught to me by family members) it's offensive (to me)to say it's something it's not.

7. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I agree with Trish. If you are going to identify tribes, or even identify the cultures are Native America, you would do well to do the research and be accurate in your mythology. If you want to use your own invented mythology, you could create a culture that is similar to Native Americans in ways that you choose, but that is entirely fictional.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

Don't ask for opinions about a writing idea. If it inspires YOU, write it. Whether anyone would spend a couple dollars or a few hours reading it has musch more to do with the quality of the writing than the novelty or other merits of the idea.

9. Leonardo Pisano

Leonardo Pisano Active Member

You could invent gods of a lost tribe or people - that now awake and come to revenge or something. Think like some ancient tribe that lost - in dark africa, a not so known island or Atlantis or something.