1. doggiedude

doggiedude Contributor Contributor

Fictional cultural concept

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by doggiedude, Jun 30, 2016.

So, I have a scene where one character proposes to another. He's done it on a whim and isn't prepared at the time. (they're on vacation.) I originally wrote it to include him not having a ring with him. Now, I decided to change "ring" to something else, since not all cultures do the whole engagement/wedding ring thing. Below is how it's written at the moment, but I wondered if anyone else had a better idea. (Future sci-fi world on Earth / everyone is human.)

Gina curled her arm through his and led him back down the path. “You’re not the only one who’s had that thought cross their mind. I just don’t want to jump in too fast. Do you even have the ashes with you?”

William stopped. “Shit. I’m sorry. I didn’t think you were religious.”

Gina laughed and pulled him forward. “I’m not. Although, girls do dream about these sort of moments.” She gave him a kiss. “That’s not what I meant. We came here to have fun. You weren’t planning on proposing. I think it needs more consideration than what your brain will allow while in a stress-free luxury resort.”

2. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

Though I don't know the details of them, I kind of like the ashes.

Another thought could be some type of mutual ceremony. Maybe they prick their thumb, wrist, tongue and do a type of blood brother thing,. They're gonna swap everything else, why not blood to show true intent and devotion. :D

It could require some sort of ceremonial knife he has to buy to do the asking. (Or she) They could use the same knife to cut their wedding cake, the umbilical cord of their baby, any major life event.

I'm apparently in gross-mode this morning. But it could be made not so gross maybe.

But I do like the ashes.

Sifunkle and doggiedude like this.
  3. doggiedude

I do like the idea of the knife. However, I'm not sure it would fit in well with this society. It seems more like something out of a feudalistic society in a fantasy novel. (But I may steal that idea if I write a fantasy next.)

BC Barry likes this.
  4. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

A tiny laser? lol

Steal away. It's yours. :D

Sifunkle and doggiedude like this.
  5. FireWater

FireWater Senior Member

I think the ashes could work. Although, typically they're known to symbolize death, so perhaps set up the tradition so that they're symbolic of rebirth or a new stage of life.

6. doggiedude

I think our notion of using ashes to symbolize death is what is bugging me about it. I could make it a necklace instead of a ring, but that seems like a lame cop-out.

7. Dearest Mothership

Dearest Mothership Member

Ashes and knives, you say? In some African cultures, a youth must receive elaborate scars as a sort of rite of passage; irritants (such as ashes) are rubbed into the scars to create raised weals of damaged skin. They're meant to enhance beauty, show identity, mark events in a person's life, demonstrate the courage of the recipient, et cetera. It's a relatively new tattoo trend here in the West. You could incorporate it into your culture, if you like.

https://www.google.com/?ion=1&espv=2#q=scarification

8. BC Barry

BC Barry Member

The death of freedom, fun, and singlehood. :D

9. Dark Severance

Dark Severance Member

They could always get tattoos together. If a scifi setting, hey just stick their finger in and the laser tattoos a ring on them in whatever design, symbols they select.

10. tropicanahana

tropicanahana Member

In hinduism, the groom ties a necklace around his wife to symbolize their marriage. The necklace is made of beads, gold and symbolically colored threads, and is worn throughout marraige like a wedding ring is in the west. It's called a mangalsutra if you want to look it up, different castes and sects of hinduism use different threads and beads for various meanings. I thought I would share to inspire you to think a necklace isn't just a cop out :)

Also in place of ashes, maybe burning of a special plant or twig (similar to sage smudging), or annointing her with a scared oil (like frankincense or neroli).

BC Barry likes this.
  11. misteralcala

misteralcala Member

He could present her with bread, lunch meat and condiments and tell her to make him a sammich!

But seriously, how about a matching pair of simple woven bracelets?

BC Barry likes this.