1. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

I think there's too much new york in my main character.

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by JosephMarch, Aug 23, 2015.

I just realized this. I have lived in NY my whole life, and my MC is in California. I just realized I wrote the whole book inside. She only is seen outside a few times, though she lives close to the ocean. This happened naturally, without my intent.
    Would this be strange? She is an introvert, kind of a bookish loner. Kinda like me...but still, would she naturally just be out more? There is zero beach in my story.
    I also have a lot of rain in my story. Again, my NY point of view peeking through. How often does it rain in Los Angeles area?

2. C. W. Evon

C. W. Evon Member

I can't really tell you much about LA because I've been to California exactly once. But I do live on the Pacific coast, so what I can tell you is that the stereotypes about West coasters being super outdoorsy and everything are not always true. I rarely go outside, really. If that's her personality, it doesn't matter where she lives, you know?

Hope that was at least a tiny bit helpful!

JosephMarch likes this.
  3. 123456789

123456789 Contributor Contributor

Even the nerds in California are going to be somewhat outdoorsy. It's really difficult not to appreciate PERFECT weather, BEAUTIFUL sunsets, and AWESOME beaches year round. Plus hispter culture is very popular, and my opinion serves as a medium between introverts who would sit inside all day and outgoing socialites who will go out. For example, southern California has a place called the "anti district." It's a hipster place, and I'm sure there are million of these in LA, but you got to understand, its's basically outside. That means, if you go to get coffee or a beer or a hookah, no matter where you go, (especially if its coastal southern CA), it's probably going to be outside. Even a lot of the apartment buildings are different, in that the hallway to your apartment is outside. And every place has an outdoor pool and a balcony...I hope you're getting the idea.

To sum, a nerd in NYC is going to look like an albino rat mutant whereas a nerd in Ca is going to probably still have a little bit of a tan. NYC and southern California are different enough that you want to consider the differences when you write...otherwise just write the story in NYC.

And no there is not a lot of rain....AT ALL. Hence the droughts!

4. Jaro

Jaro Active Member

I was born and raised in California. I've been to the beach exactly twice. And I never was outdorsy growing up, either.

JosephMarch likes this.
  5. C. W. Evon

C. W. Evon Member

Oh I was going to say this earlier and I forgot. Is there a particular reason your character MUST be from LA? I mean, NYC is what you know best, so you would be able to give a lot more authenticity to the setting probably if you set it there. Of course, no one ever said you have to set your novel where you live, just something to think about.

And anyway, the west coast is super overrated. :p

6. Shattered Shields

Shattered Shields Gratsa!

Your character is your character. Not all of us conform to our surroundings. I went to a High School full of rednecks, and yet I drive a Honda, and hate beer.

My point is that your character doesn't have to be a Californian just because she's a Californian. She can cut her own path through her own environment. Be bit of a rebel really.

7. JosephMarch

JosephMarch Active Member

Whew, thanks for the replies.
    I've been there only once, also. I guess the more important thing is her personality, which is verging on hermit. I think I will squeeze in some mentions of beach trips that maybe she refuses, or goes along unwillingly.

She is a teenager, but doesn't have many friends...her family is her world.

C. W. Evon likes this.