1. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

Im getting really tired of Vampires.

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Fullmetal Xeno, Jul 23, 2011.

After the release of Twilight, almost the entire shelf for teens at the bookstore is INFESTED with vampire ripoffs from terrible writers who want money. (Not all, but some ive seen are cheap ripoffs. If anybody is writing a vampire novel, im not talking about you. ) I see that none of the books are original with any good twists towards the Vampires. Cirque Du Freak, Buffy and the Sookie Stackhouse novels were original. Why can't the rest be? The others are just bland copies. It's making me sick.

2. whitefairy24601

whitefairy24601 New Member

The good thing is that even though book shelves are infested with the disease that is sappy vampire romance fiction, we don't have to read it! We can go to the book store, browse around, laugh at the awful plots and quality of those stupid vampire tales and then go home and work on our own masterpieces which, compared to those blood-and-life-sucking tales ought to bring in millions. Then we can eat pudding and pie and laugh because those poor deprived vampires can't enjoy the wonderful foods of which we live for.
    Because like mosquitoes those unfortunate cliched souls have to live off of blood.
    We win.

2 people like this.
  3. Fullmetal Xeno

Now, that's genius. You got such a point. :)

4. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

There is such an abundance of YA vampire novels because currently there's a demand for them, mostly by teenage girls who want their next paranormal romance fix, and just wish twilight was a neverending series. Kind of like how I felt about Harry Potter when I was younger.

However that doesn't mean you as a new writer can churn out a vampire novel and have guaranteed success. Because of the plethora, the competition is steep and the book really does have to have something special. And that's the thing. Those books might be a replication of the same premise but they're all reasonably well written. Otherwise they'd never make it onto the book shelves. For people like you and me, who reached the maximum dose with just the first twilight book, these books and that genre won't appeal to us. To the target market it will. It's like mills and boons. There's thousands of them and they're more or less telling the same story, but those inclined to soppy romance keep buying the books.

5. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

My god. What is is about Twilight that's brought on this much antagonism lately?

6. WriterDude

WriterDude Contributor Contributor

The sparkling, probably. :p

7. Lemex

Haha. It must be getting worse.

8. foxanthony

foxanthony New Member

Exactly. It's all about supply and demand. It's not just vampires but the fantasy genre as a whole.

But, we can take hope. Most of the books being published are sh*t, so all we have to do is write good ones and we will quickly rise to the top.

9. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

This is a common delusion among beginning writers, but if you believe it you will be sorely disappointed. Most of what is being published has already survived against the multitude of submissions an agent or editor receives. Already survived the slush pile. As The Joker rightly points out (in the very message you responded to), most of what is on the shelves is pretty well done in one regard or another. It's not like publishers, having only crap to choose from, are just churning out junk while they wait for one of us to submit that one good manuscript.

10. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

Reference to me I suppose?

11. Lemex

No.

It's not just on this site. I've been noticing it a lot lately on other forums I go to, and Facebook. I'm getting a little sick of it though, the whole Twilight bashing fad was a few years ago now. What's the point in bringing it back.

12. Fullmetal Xeno

I wasn't referring to Twilight in general, i was talking about the works similar of it. The ones that are copies and poorly written.

13. Lemex

I'm well aware of that. I could just see the route this thread was going to take though.

14. colorthemap

colorthemap New Member

And my thread's intentions were indeed an old argument that was inspired by the Twilight movies coping the pattern of Harry Potter movies.

15. Lemex

Maybe it's just me being grumpy then. :redface: I have an excuse though: due to an operation I've had little sleep lately.

16. Fullmetal Xeno

don't worry, your not alone. I've gotten a grand total of 5 hours of sleep last night. it's not much.

17. Dr Guillotine

Dr Guillotine New Member

Vampires aren't my thing, but, hey we can all like different things.

But, I liked the original Lost Boys movie. If anyone even knows what that is.

And, from Dusk Til Dawn, if those count.

18. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

Join the club, man. We've got jackets.

19. The-Joker

What kind of a vampire fan are you? A true fan sticks with them through the rip-offs and the ridiculous(ie. sparkly ones.)

20. Vamp_fan22

Vamp_fan22 New Member

Haha, I can see how it must be confusing with my screen name. I love Anne Rice's vampires and Dracula and the vampires that actually kill people. I loved vampires before this whole vampire craze started, lol.

21. The-Joker

You should change your name to vamp purist then.

22. BuriedAlive

BuriedAlive New Member

I'm much the same way... Ive been into vampires and werewolves ever since i was little; when they belonged strictly in the Horror genre... but now, sadly, they've been so over-sensationalized and watered-down in these books catering to teenage fantasy. at least it helps me appreciate even more when i actually do find a decent vampire story. i just read Let the Right One In by John Lindqvist, and it did not disappoint :)

23. LostBreakingDevelopment

LostBreakingDevelopment New Member

Unfortunately there's a direct correlation between following the bandwagon and getting rich. All the countless boring Harry Potter rips come to mind. I am also getting tired of the Twilight "vampires", and now there's even an TV series called Teen Wolf :0. I wish we could get rid of those and stick with the badass stuff. Vampires are meant to embody lust and evil and that's hardly depicted anymore.

24. Fullmetal Xeno

Cique Du Freak is badass tho, they don't kill unless they must, but they suck blood and leave a scar. and Then the victim wakes up not remembering a thing. haha

25. LostBreakingDevelopment

LostBreakingDevelopment New Member

That concept alone is 100X better than the Twilight series lol. Seriously one of the worst things to happen to modern literature ever.