1. Tesoro

Tesoro Contributor Contributor

Reading-depression?

Discussion in 'Discussion of Published Works' started by Tesoro, Aug 1, 2011.

Ok, this thread just went here because I didn't know where to post it.
    I suffer from severe reading-depression. I can't seem to find a book that seems like a good read. Nothing seems interesting, nothing seems new and exciting, nothing awakens my curiosity... I scanned two different book stores (ok, paper back, because right now I can't afford real ones that I maybe will read only two pages and then put away) without finding ANYTHING even remotely interesting. Is it just me? Is this a bad sign? I want to read, but I don't want to have to re-read books that I have already read just to enjoy it (im not a re-reader), so what Am I supposed to do? Is there a cure for this???

2. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

What kind of stuff do you like?

3. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

I've actually felt like that a bit too recently. I've been wanting to read something really original and different. I'm still reading books that iv borrowed from freinds but they just take me forever to read and i havnt much interest in them, where as with a really good book i gobble them up, i could read a whole one in a day if it was really good.

I can be quite a picky reader too. I cant just read anything. I cant re-read books either even if itss good and i really enjoyed it i just think about them i dont tend to re-read. Theres only a few books i've done that with.

You could start writing your own story thats has a combination of everything you feel you want to read in a good book, and i guess just keep looking ;)

4. coffeebeanmachine

coffeebeanmachine New Member

Do you have access to a library? I find it easier to pick up books I'm not sure I'll like when I know I won't lose any money if I don't finish. You can also take several books home and decide which one to read at your own leisure, instead of feeling rushed to decide.

What genre do you typically read? Have you thought about exploring a new genre? Sometimes trying something totally new can get you interested again.

Do you like classic fiction? There's a lot of stuff available for free at this site: http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/

Hope something here is helpful. Have fun! :)

5. proserpine

proserpine New Member

I feel like I could be more helpful if I knew your favorite books.

Have you tried looking at book club websites, or bookstore websites? You might find the reviews of other readers helpful. Both usually have a sample chapter, so you're not going in blind if you decide to buy something.

6. Mallory

Mallory Contributor Contributor

If the book you want to read isn't out there anywhere, write it yourself. That's why we're all here. :)

7. TobiasJames

TobiasJames New Member

I encountered a rut of some sort whilst waiting for 'Dance with Dragons' to be released. I tried other fantasy series (Malazan Book of the Fallen, Thomas Covenant, Wheel Of Time) but none of them have really interested me.

8. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Yeh I've had that. Sometimes you just have to learn to, well, switch off. You stop criticising the books and just decide to enjoy it - laugh at it, if you have to - but enjoy it. Of course there're some books that're really just that bad and even switching off doesn't work, but you'll have widened you book circle by miles :)

And just push through it. I've read a few books that are written appallingly (twilight included) - but I push through the first 100-150 pages or so, and finally the story gets my interest after a while. You delve deep enough into the story, you'll find yourself wanting to know how it ends, even if it's terribly written. Of course, these ones, once you put it down, you might not go back to it, but at least you will have read something? (managed to finish 1 crime novel this way, but Twilight I put down after about 250 pages and never had an inclination to pick it up again)

One book this method worked wonderfully for was actually Stieg Larsson's famous The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The first 150 pages were dull as hell. But later I found that the guy was actually a really awesome writer and the story got interesting - his characters being the soul of the book. Don't regret it at all. But trust me when I say I was very tempted to put it down initially. I only kept going because I've heard such high praise for it.

Or read a classic. However pick a book you've always wanted to read but just never got round to it? And then stick with it even if you don't seem to find it interesting initially.

But overall, you just gotta be less critical really :D

9. AfterBroadway

AfterBroadway New Member

Maybe you could try to read an author that is more immediately engaging like Chuck Palahniuk or something thrilling. A good book that doesn't take too much concentration to read is 7 Steps To Midnight by Richard Matheson. It's totally enthralling and fun to read. Keeps you guessing until the end too, and it's hard to put down.

Also maybe try something more humorous like Christopher Moore. I've only read Lamb from him but it was hilarious and honestly a great book. I've heard good things about all his other books too.

10. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

I've been feeling the same too.

11. pyrosama

pyrosama Member

I would suggest reading some writing and inspirational blogs. :)

12. another wasted day

another wasted day Member

I feel like this all the time. I wish I knew how to fix it.

13. J.P.Clyde

J.P.Clyde Prince of Melancholy Contributor

My theory and I do apologize as this may offend some people. Is that it is much like an alcoholic or a drug addict. The more drugs they take, the more of a high they need. Well the same thing here. I was a very early reader. Stories use to inspire me a great deal and I would take off the shelves more and more and more. It wasn't just escapism there was a kind of high of being mused and inspired.
    But now that the books have run dry and they only have the weakened drug that I am tolerant of I cannot experience the high. In a way just like a drug addict we are trying to seek the highest high that can no longer be achieved.

14. Sundae

Sundae New Member

Sometimes, you need to force yourself. Just like school. At this point, you're looking for something enjoyable and are not finding it. Instead, read something that is not the same. Biography, non-fiction, newspapers, short stories, and read for a reason other than enjoyment.

Train yourself on different reading habits. Reading for research, reading for enjoyment, reading as a writer, reading to study, reading for knowledge. Sometimes, when you differentiate styles, you are better able to enjoy other things because you know it's leisure.

Reading right now seems very unappealing to you, so figure out why it's unappealing. Because you can't find something, or because you're biased and putting too much emphasis on old-favorites?

Try joining a book-club to read and discuss books.

But best way, is to immerse yourself into a subject you LIKE. Something that has always interested you and read up on it. Make it non-fiction if you can. From there, branch into fiction that deal with the same subjects.

Try audio books if you just can't make yourself sit and read. Read audio books of books that you LOVE and compare it to how different it is in a audio version. Most libraries carry a vast variety of audio books, try it out.

Sometimes, it just comes down to self discipline. Just like studying.

15. thirdwind

thirdwind Member Contest Administrator Reviewer Contributor

Try going out of comfort zone and read something you wouldn't normally read. You may end up liking it.

Also, what kind of things do you write about? You may like reading about the same things as well.

16. JPGriffin

JPGriffin New Member

Ugh... I know what that feels like, and my sympathies are with you. It's during times like those that I tend to play "Russian Roulette" in a library. And honestly, you'd be surprised at what you find. In the middle of the YA Fantasy section, after cheating my way past the vampire romance stuff (don't get me started...), I found a book that was absolutely original, creative, and altogether... DIFFERENT. Anyways, the library's always open to basically anyone, and there's always a slew of books available. :)

17. The-Joker

The-Joker Contributor Contributor

I think there are many people like you. Some have the more permanent form of the condition. A lot of my friends say they simply can't read, because nothing they read engages them for more than a few pages. And that's why a large part of the world doesn't read fiction. It's a pity, really. I've gone into those slumps myself. And I only finish ten percent of the books I start.

18. Tesoro

I used to like romance, chic-lit and more general fiction (I don't know what to call it, drama, suspence)
    Yes, I am a quite picky reader too, and to make it worse it feels like the genres I used to like doesn't have the same effect on me anymore.
    Good idea. The library could be a way of finding books that you won't find in the bookstores. usually I only go there if Im looking for a book that is too old to be sold right now in the stores, but I think I'll give it a try and as you say, it's more economical too

hehe, that is what I have tried to do recently, only to realise when reading it through that it doesn't at all give the same feeling as I was trying to achieve... which was kind of a disappointment. Problem is I don't think I'm really sure anymore which genre I wanna write.
    I'll try your approach, thank you :)
    you might be right on this, >I recognize the feeling
    yes I thought of that, if it's like a writers block that you just have to push through
    nice to hear im not the only one

19. Lemex

Lemex That's Lord Lemex to you. Contributor

I suggest reading something different, like poetry or non-fiction that you are interested in. Or just strange books. If you want to read something out of the ordinary then I suggest House of Leaves.

20. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

I never read in just one genre, and wildly different authors. Im reading Neil Gaiman right now (fiction), and C.S.Lewis at the same time (non-fiction). Just finished A book by Diana Gabaldon (romance)and one by Brandon Sanderson shortly before(fantasy).

Maybe getting out of your book comfort zone and into new territory will be enough to wake the reading urge back up?

Good luck, you've gotten a lot of good advice! All the best~

21. NikkiNoodle

NikkiNoodle Active Member

Ooooh, or if you have an iPod, try an audio book. Maybe listening to someone read (and there are A LOT of great narrators out there) will help get you over the hump.

22. Steerpike

Steerpike Felis amatus Contributor

I have the opposite problem. There are more good books out there than I can possibly have time to read, particularly if I want to get anything else done.

I'll read anything that's good, regardless of genre or style. I think opening up to as wide a range of material as possible may help with people who can't find anything to read or for whom things have become stale. If you're reading too much of the same kinds of thing, that's bound to happen.

23. Tesoro

Sorry if I couldn't give a proper reply earlier, People were hanging over my shoulder, waiting for me to let go of the computer :p
    thank you so much for all the great advices you've given. I think part of it is that I'm kind of fed up with the genres of books I used to like and since both thrillers and fantasy has never interested me before I really didn't know what to go for. But maybe trying a different genre could be enough and give the book a chance before putting it down, kind of like writers block; you just have to read anyway and maybe eventually it will go away...? I'll try and do that, trying a different genre and maybe even reading in english since I need a change. I was at the library today but was kind of depressed fpor other reasons too, so I didn't stay long enough to find something. (I got to "F" in the general fiction section...) maybe even read something different would do. Like someone said, not even fiction but some other kind of book about something interesting. Thanks again.
    Ps, I definitely will give the audio book a thought, even though I don't have an IPod. There are cd's too... ;) (talking about stoneage, but what the hell, paper books are even more stone age, so... ;) )

24. AveryWhite

AveryWhite Active Member

totaly know what you mean! lol

what book was that GPGriffin? if you dont mind me asking :)

iv decided to look at every book in the library (i dont mean read every one though haha big task :p) and see if it grabs me in any way. because i often just used to browse and probably missed a few books that would have been a good read.

25. Tesoro

Maybe times like this is when we should rely on the old classics? a collegue of mine said she'd bring me "Gone with the wind" from home, which I actually have never read. I honestly haven't read many of these oldies, so that could be an idea, maybe?