Tags:
  1. whispershadow

whispershadow New Member

Character name?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by whispershadow, Jan 26, 2019.

I've started working on a story set in World War 2 and in it, the main character is going to go into hiding from the Nazis. Her parents are in the resistance and get arrested and the Nazis who arrest her family know there's a child (the main character). The story will jump between diary entries and events that are going on in the story and the character is keeping a diary (she'll be an older child just starting out herself in the resistance)

How do I pick a suitable name for the character? I'm torn between setting a resistance up in Nazi Germany itself (for the story), or going with the place I know had a resistance and setting the story in France?

I'll probably think up more questions as I write it.

2. Iain Sparrow

Iain Sparrow Banned Contributor

What's her ethnic background?
    What's her social status?
    How well educated are her parents?

Can't choose a name without knowing those kind of details first.

Iain Aschendale likes this.
  3. EstherMayRose

EstherMayRose Gay Souffle Contributor

behindthename.com
    surnames.behindthename.com

I will never stop recommending those websites. Once you've decided whether your resistance will be in France or Germany (and there were resistance groups there, too, but on a smaller scale) you can just click on the appropriate country and take your pick. I find, if you keep looking, one name will just "click".

J.D. Ray and Stormburn like this.
  4. ThyRivalPoet

ThyRivalPoet Member

If the character is from a strong Jewish family, then I would go with something from that area and time period. Also remember the character's personality should flow nicely with the name.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  5. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

For my story, I used the above sites for lus a couple others that are similar (Google is your friend) to find some of the most common names from the regions where my characters originated. The name for one of my MCs, Marko Horvat, is the Croatian equivalent of John Smith.

6. Asher Janos Hawthorne

Asher Janos Hawthorne Member

It would depend on their background. a French name for a Frenchman a German name for a German, so on and so forth.

7. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Use a placeholder name to start and as you go you'll probably think up a fitting name as you go.

Alan Aspie likes this.
  8. EFMingo

EFMingo A Modern Dinosaur Supporter Contributor

I completely agree. There is no way for us to help if we dont know where this character came from.

9. Iain Aschendale

Iain Aschendale Lying, dog-faced pony Marine Supporter Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Telemachus Sneezed
    Interesting. One of my old friends (of indeterminate "American" ancestry) is a Horvat. I'll have to ask him about that someday.

J.D. Ray likes this.
  10. J.D. Ray

J.D. Ray Member Supporter Contributor

It's the most popular surname in Croatia, mostly because it means "Croat" (or so I understand from this):

Some facts on Horvat, the most popular Croatian surname!

Horvat, the most frequent surname in Croatia, doesn’t end in –ić, but is common for a different reason: the name Horvat comes from the Croatian word Hrvat (Croat).

It was estimated that of 4.3 million Croatians more than 22,000 have the last name Horvat(according to the 2011 census). Related surnames such as Horvatinčić or Horvatić – i.e. “son of Horvat” are also not uncommon.