Tags:
  1. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

Which Of These Settings Are Better (If Any)?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by frigocc, Feb 28, 2019.

So, basically, sounds weird, but writing both my first novel and the sequels simultaneously. Or, I guess I should say, I'm actively writing one, and making very detailed outlines and notes of the next 2.

Both will be part of a comedic trilogy (or more), so, keep in mind, they're a little weird.

The settings were going to be an intergalactic setting, and then Hell. Haven't hashed out the plots yet, just thinking of settings. Here are a couple ideas I was thinking:

An intergalactic story where rock gods, like Ronnie James Dingo and Fuzzy Osbourne are aliens of different species. Their planets would be rightfully named, like Bob Ballford from Judas' Penis (Judas Priest). Dingo (obviously Dio) would a literal Dingo-like species. Ozzy, probably a bat (would fit the Fuzzy name, and his obvious bat incident). The next story would then be a story based in Hell with regular, albeit comedic, characters. Maybe the good old ones, like Satan and Asmodeus.

or

Make the intergalactic story have normal alien characters, but make the guys in Hell the rock gods. Might be more fitting, given the satanic undertones of heavy metal. And the names could still fit, as I could see there being weird creatures in Hell. I'd like to possibly incorporate some band names, like Judas Priest above. Possibly sects within Hell? Not sure. Might make more sense than entire planets. And would make song references like "Escalator To Purgatory," similar to Stairway To Heaven (not my idea, but something similar).

My biggest question, though, is do either of these settings seem like an entertaining read?

2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

Settings are not entertaining. Stories are - if they are.

3. frigocc

frigocc Contributor Contributor

That's true. I believe I can tell good stories with both settings, just not sure which duo sounds more appealing.

4. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    Alt-universe Parody, on Metal Gods from our own Reality, that would be pretty cool.
    I say roll with it, and see where you end up.
    :superidea: