1. EpicChris

EpicChris New Member

Futuristic police series

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by EpicChris, Oct 4, 2014.

I really need a title for this.

I mentioned it briefly in my into thread (HERE) and I just put a thread up for help with character development, I now need plot help. I have plot block (XD). Seriously, I have no clue where to go from anywhere.

Brief Summary of what I have so far:
    Overnight, the vigilante kills 12 Government officials
    He and a group of hackers shut off electricity supplies and starts planting bombs
    The overall effect of this leads to a huge riot
    After several bombs explode, America begins to get evacuated
    Army and navy are called in
    Country are left with no choice but too attempt to nuke their own land to catch these guys.

To follow all this, I may have another book
    But I need help with the first book :), any aid is helpful.

2. jazzabel

jazzabel Agent Provocateur Contributor

Watch first season of a series called 'Almost Human'. The story is exactly about futuristic police force, very good show, sadly cancelled by Fox. But first season is worth a watch.

3. EpicChris

EpicChris New Member

Wow! Thanks :). I'm totally going to check that out now

jazzabel likes this.
  4. plothog

plothog Contributor Contributor

It strikes me that the later parts of this story aren't so much a cops story any more. It wouldn't be a police decision to evacuate America or drop a nuke. This story could be told from a police point of view, in that police would be involved in running the evacuation, but you need to make sure it's not just about them following orders from on high. You need to add in decisions and conflicts which matter personally to your cops. Is that the aspect in which you're plot blocked?

Or are main characters making the big decisions? That could be a legitimate way of telling the story, though it's not so much a police story then.

5. Christine Ralston

Christine Ralston Active Member

I agree with Plothog. This plot idea has potential, but you need to spend a great deal of time on research. Make sure you understand the roles the different jurisdictions would play in your story before you begin writing. Orders for mass evacuation would have to come at the government level.

6. EpicChris

EpicChris New Member

Wow. I didn't think that through did I. What do you recommend?

Maybe police do mass evactuations of certain areas? With skirmishes from the riot.

Thank you for verifying it. :) I'm going to do some more research now.

7. Mike Nemesis

Mike Nemesis Active Member

While we're on the process of recommending TV series continuum is an interesting one to look at the development of futuristic police and how they fall into becoming a tool for government control (however a lot of it is set in modern day and may only give you occasional glimpses of future tech).

It's hard to judge a plot based on a basic summary but the first thing that springs to my mind when I see this is not about jurisdictional authority (it's your world if you want the police to have more power to combat crime that's fine as long as you explain the process). My real issue is if the police start evacuating why wouldn't the bombers/ hackers get evacuated in the process and why would the country result to ruining their homeland for the sake of killing 12 people. Something they have never resorted to even when dealing with 'terrorist states'. It seems beyond overkill. Why fight for your country if you don't have a country to return to? If your going to set it in the future maybe you could have some future tech, something as devastating as a nuke to biological life but without the decades of radiation damage that follows. However this still doesn't explain the overkill response.

Also if rioting begins to take place you may find it very hard to evacuate and if you fail to do so the rest of the world will frown upon you nuking your own people because they had problems with the way your country was running.

8. EpicChris

EpicChris New Member

Thanks for your input, I'm working in changing those bits of the plot, because as you said, they are not things police would really do, and in the manner I want it too be, it doesn't seem right.

Glad I came on here :)

But: I do want another nation to come in, maybe... Yeh, actually I'm gonna forget the other country getting involved. I want this to be a police action, not a war strategy.

I'll only include the army to track down the hackers (maybe satellite drones) and they use the home guard to clear up prisons under riot, so even that won't be too unrealistic, having troops marching around.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014