1. Amy Croft

Amy Croft New Member

To write or not to write

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by Amy Croft, Dec 10, 2020.

Hey guys!

I am a young novelist still in her early years of writing. I have quite the imagination, and when an idea pops into my head, I can't help but become completely subdued by it. For weeks, sometimes months, it is the only thing that I can think about. The only issue is most of the time I can't keep up with my own imagination. I'll start writing solely focused on one idea and before I know it, I've moved on to four more.
    Some ideas are inspired by a song, a piece of art, or a specific character I've encountered previously. Others just spring out of nowhere - they're usually the more random ones.
    I keep writing then stopping, as I doubt my writing capabilities a lot. The majority of things I've written in the past have only been seen by myself or a close friend of mine, who believes that I have potential - but she's a friend so in my mind her view will always be bias. But I want to know if I'm good enough. Having a career where I can let my imagination run wild and do what I love would be a dream come true, but at the same time, I like to think that I'm quite realistic. I'm taking a gap year between attending college and going to university, so this time is really my last chance to decide. I want to know if I am good enough to make what I love into a career, or if to stick to something more mundane.

Any advice you guys can give would be great :).

2. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

Well said. Friends and family can offer real critique, but they can also shut you down with derision or not offer anything more than 'I love your story'. Neither of which is particularly helpful.

Your writing needs to stand on its own against strangers, because them will be the ones judging. There's no way around showing your writing to strangers, and the quickest option to know 'if you got what it needs' is to write sample pieces, give them to strangers for critique; maybe post in the our workshop when you've met the workshop requirements which are two helpful critiques for every piece of work you post in the workshop, given prior to posting!, as well as being a member for 14 days and making 20 posts in general.

To make a career in writing you need to finish what you start. You said it yourself: You've lots of ideas but so far haven't stuck to execution. Ideas are a dime a dozen, but the ability to see one through to the end makes an author. Focus on one thing and see how you like the process. Yes, there are authors who work on different stories at once, but you're just starting out. I'd advise to write just one story at first, because it'll tell you if you can see it through.

Amy Croft likes this.
  3. Greg147

Greg147 New Member

Also it seems you're putting yourself under a lot of pressure to make a decision immediately. You can have a non-writing career and write at the same time. Nothing wrong with writing as a hobby and pursuing it as a career if you have successes further down the line.

I can definitely relate to your situation though, it's hard to commit to writing a full book without some feedback along the way telling you it's worth it. Fortunately this site seems to be full of people sharing their work and offering support to each other, so it looks like the right place to find your answer :)

Lifeline and Amy Croft like this.
  4. Amy Croft

Amy Croft New Member

Hey thanks for the advice, I honestly didn't think anyone would get back to me that quickly, so your time is appreciated.
    I have this one idea set in a post apocalyptic world that I'm thinking of running with. It is a little unnerving for me to publish my work, but like you said strangers are better critiques, so I'm gonna give the workshop a try.
    Thanks again for the advice.

Lifeline likes this.
  5. Lifeline

Just pick one. For your first work, it needn't be the most compelling or the one likely to win you the pulitzer prize :) Writing is a long game and the more you write, the better you'll get. You'll learn lots in the process. Write, read (in your genre, and/or about writing process), listen to podcasts and blogs about the craft of writing, play around with different ideas... so don't assume that your first work will be the best, because it most likely won't be. But what it'll does, it'll give you a foot in the door, and the next thing you write will be better still.

Amy Croft likes this.
  6. Amy Croft

Amy Croft New Member

Your advice is really good, so thank you :). I do enjoy writing a lot and its been a hobby of mine since I was a young teenager, but it has the tendency to take over sometimes. More than once I've found myself writing instead of getting on with my work lol.
    I think that if I found a way to structure my time more effectively and take time away specifically for writing then that might help. Although I've tried many different techniques to help with this and I still find myself spending like five straight hours just writing. Do you know of any techniques that might be able to help?

I have to agree with you as well this sight has already been great at giving me advice and support, and I only joined it today.
    I really do appreciate everyone's advice, I've tried asking my family for advice before but they don't see why this is such a need for me. They don't see writing as a sensible career path for me, so I kinda actively avoid talking to them about it at this point. That might be why I feel a sort of desperation to decide so quickly if I want to make this into a career?
    I dunno lol, but thanks again :).

7. Lifeline

Again, I can only speak for myself, but I slot specific writing times into each day that've proven best, and use the rest of the day for life. That way your work won't suffer, and you'll look forward eagerly to the times when you know you can sit down with your words.

i.e. I'm a morning/night person, so that means I get up early to write one/two hours directly after getting my coffee for the day, and again after ten in the evenings when it's quiet and I won't be disturbed. During the day, you can always think about what you'll be writing in the evening during breaks when you do mindless tasks or sit bumper to bumper in the car. A notebook that's always close to you helps for the times when you've an idea and are afraid you might forget it. Five words to get it out of your mind, and your itch is scratched for the moment. When I've bedded down for the day, I read half an hour/an hour. Writing is a lot about discipline.

Amy Croft likes this.
  8. Amy Croft

Amy Croft New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna give the notepad thing a try. For me I work best at night, so I'll try creating a schedule to keep my writing localised to a few hours at night. The habit that I'm trying to break the most is writing in bed. As most of my writing is constructed on my laptop, it's very easy for me to get lost in the light, so to speak. So sitting at a table for a few hours and leaving my laptop downstairs when the time's up may work better.
    thanks again for the advice, and I'll let you know how it works after I try it for a few days.

Lifeline likes this.
  9. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

As for having too many ideas, that's a good thing! I agree with Lifeline, pick one and work on it, but be sure to write down the other ideas before they fade away, otherwise you'll forget them. Then you've got a backlog of ideas to pull from later.

And sometimes, even when you're working on one story you'll get some more ideas for another one that's in an earlier stage of development—when this happens I'll be sure to add more notes to that earlier folder because again, it will disappear if you don't. Nothing worse that thinking "What was that great idea I had a couple months ago?" and you can't remember anymore.

Amy Croft and Lifeline like this.
  10. Amy Croft

Amy Croft New Member

Thank you for this idea, I've just been through all of my documents concising them into one 'concept list', which outlines the basic plot of the story and any details that I want saved. I believe that this is gonna help me a lot in the future, as I'm used to having like ten different documents active at once.

11. Mckk

Mckk Member Supporter Contributor

Even good writers usually hold a separate full-time job non-writing related, and those who live off their writing will usually have multiple income streams from editing, selling their books, teaching English or teaching creative writing, copywriting, ghostwriting and so on. What I'm saying is, a "career" for a writer may look different to what is traditionally considered a career.

Writing rarely makes money. Self-publishing can be a career but only because that is in fact, a business venture whereby you start your own business with a product to sell. Are you interested in running your own business? If not, you're probably looking at traditional publishing, which can also be a career, but with publishers taking the lion's share of the profit and actually even they don't always make a profit, being able to live off your writing is probably about as uncertain as the self-publishing route, in some ways. Both are valid careers, but even though both are about selling your writing and living off it, they are very different beasts that will be suited to different people, depending on your skill set, interests, time and resources, and so on.

And by writing, do you mean creative writing, technical writing, copywriting, ghostwriting, freelance writing (topics like B2B digital marketing tend to be popular). Again, each type requires a different skill set and will have different requirements. Freelance writing requires heavy research and for you to be a good salesman because you must pitch to the websites you want to write for. Ghostwriting would require you to be able to mimic someone else's voice and realise a project that you will then NOT take credit for. Copywriting may require a keen eye for detail, passion for line editing, and ability to come up with snappy copies and greater awareness of trends and market needs than other types of writing. You get where I'm going.

Are you good enough? Only getting critique will tell you. And when you start out, very likely critics will tell you: No, you're not good enough. Because you improve by getting critique. Do you see where this is going? The answer is: You're very likely not good enough yet if you've never had feedback, but that does not mean you won't be good enough later if you work on it. It's about learning. I can't say whether you'll ever get good enough, but that's the thing with dreams: are you gonna let that stop you? Go for it and see what happens. Maybe you're not good enough now. Does it mean you won't be good enough in 5 years time? Who knows, right? Aim for the stars, be realistic that perhaps you won't reach the stars - but how can you know if you never reach for it? So dream, and reach for those stars. It's just about learning. And writing is a skill - it can be learnt.

Anyway I don't think you have to make a choice at all. Get a job that pays the bills that satisfies you, and write whenever you can. See which one takes off. That's the great thing with writing - all you need is pen and paper, or a laptop for typing. Nothing special is needed. There's no need at all to give up writing just because you're doing something else. It is something you can always do alongside something else.

One tip I will give you: Be selective whom you take critique from. Writer's culture - and there's very much one - will tell you to be thankful to whomever is willing to critique your work. To not argue with the critic, but inherent in that sort of advice - to the ear of the novice - means to accept the critique as being right. Don't they say it is the writer's responsibility to be clear, and therefore if the reader interprets things a certain way, it is the writer's fault, not the reader's? There's truth in that, sure. But if someone cannot write, then how can they help you improve your writing? Yes, everyone's feedback is valuable to some extent and there's always something you can glean from it - but it's about efficiency. If 99% of what someone says is useless and damaging, why go through it for that 1% of value? Because trust me when I say, a good writer will probably spot that 1% a bad writer also spotted, but the good writer will deliver much more value in their critique than the bad writer ever can. I am personally extremely selective about whom I take critique from and I select my own beta readers - this is for good reason. The blind leading the blind will land you in a hole, well-intentioned though they may be.

See whose communication style matches yours, whose opinions you respect, check out their writing and see if you respect their writing, if there's quality in it. Approach those specific individuals and form your own writer's tribe. You will learn a lot more from people who're good at their craft than you would from people at the same stage as yourself or perhaps behind you on the path. It's not about being arrogant, but there's nothing wrong with being confident and knowing the value of your own writing.

Be realistic, but also don't stop dreaming. You don't have to choose at all. Have a go at it. Who knows, maybe you'll be the next bestseller :) and if you never get there, does it matter? You've had fun along the way. Your work, whether you publish it or not, will always make you proud if you've poured your heart and soul into it, and maybe that's enough. Do it for the love of it, for the joy of it. Sometimes it can be liberating to not earn a living from your passion, because there are things you can do then without constraints. And if you love it, you'll end up doing it anyway. Nothing will stop you. If you love it, don't let anything stop you. Go for it.

12. Greg147

Greg147 New Member

That one sounds right up my street; if you do put it in the workshop, I'll be sure to give it a read and offer what feedback I can.

Amy Croft likes this.
  13. Remilyn

Remilyn Banned

Everyone has fears.

Fear of spiders. Fear of heights. Fear of confined spaces.

Writers–especially those just starting out–have fears too. Specifically, fears related to whether or not they have what it takes to make it. Whether you aspire to be an author, a freelancer or a journalist, you’re probably harbouring thoughts that keep you from building confidence.

Amy Croft likes this.
  14. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

Have you considered going for a BFA? It's the undergrad version of an MFA program. A BFA would allow you to focus on reading and writing. I know you said you're taking a gap year, but you might want to look into it. You'll learn a lot and come out a better writer than you would otherwise. You'll meet other young people who are just as serious as you are about writing and you'll make connections that could pay off down the road. I speak from my own experience having an MFA. I am a professional creative writer and I don't think that would have happened if I hadn't gone to school for it. I never had a back up plan, though, with a BFA or MFA you could always get a job working in publishing since a writing career seems to have a slow build to it. In these sort of programs you'll learn the ins and outs of publishing while being pushed as a writer. Creative writing assignments will teach you what deadlines in the field are like. You'll sort of learn to be creative on the spot and finish things. And even without school deadlines, you'll be able to follow through better with the ones you impose on yourself. These programs are also great for finding mentors.

These programs not so easy to get into so you've got to be good or really show a lot of potential to get accepted. I know for MFAs there are schools where tuition is covered and stipends are given. Sometimes there are only a few free-ride spots. Everyone had the same tuition coverage and stipend in my program, but, again, I did an MFA and I'm not entirely sure if BFAs offer the same, but I imagine some might.

The BFA is fairly new. It wasn't around when I was in undergrad, but I do think it's great that something is offered now for young and aspiring writers at the undergrad level. People go to school for all sorts of careers. Why should writing be any different? Of course, you can learn a lot on your own and higher education isn't something everyone wants to pursue, but since you're planning to go to school anyway and you want to be a writer, this could really make sense for someone like you. Again, you're going to need to be a good writer. There's a lot of competition to get into these programs. Many good writers just don't make the cut because these places tend to keep cohorts small and be really selective. You'll need a writing sample when you apply, and, really, almost everything is going to come down to that writing sample. A year to write before applying is a good idea anyway. Just something you might want to think about. Good luck with whatever you decide.

15. Tea@3

Tea@3 Senior Member

I know I am two years late in replying to this, but:

1--Do not try to make it a career. Avoid thinking that at all. Make plans for some other way to make a living, and write anyway but without any thought of money. Then, if you DO get some money from it, a bit or a lot or even a full career, that will be pure gravy and you can enjoy it accordingly. But by anticipating money from a writing career IMO you shoot yourself in the foot before you ever get off the ground because it warps (again, IMO) your mindset.

Dickens: 'The key to happiness lies in controlling one's expectations.'

2--The *most* valuable thing you can possess is discipline. You *must* finish works.