1. Protar

Protar Active Member

A superhero novel

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Protar, Jan 16, 2012.

Recently I watched X-men first class for the 1st time and I thought it was really good. Young Mystique is so adorable :). anyway it rekindled my interest in an idea I have for a series of novels. It's poorly developed at the moment and if I do write it, it likely won't be for some time. Anyway it was basically a superhero idea, like x-men (though hopefully I'd make it original.). But what I was wondering is would a superhero setting work as a novel? It's so ingrained in society that superhero=comics that I'm not sure it would work. No doubt I've missed some superhero novels but some feedback would be good.

2. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

3. Protar

Protar Active Member

4. Fullmetal Xeno

Fullmetal Xeno Protector of Literature Contributor

5. Question

Question Active Member

Yeah, superheroes novels are due able. There have been plenty of novels who have super heroes as main character. (Though most of them are young adult). I think it would have to be a unique take on it to keep readers interested. Maybe make it seem more realistic. But if you've got a good idea then I say go for it.

6. AmyHolt

AmyHolt New Member

If you think about it many fantasy novels have a hero that has special powers or in other words in a superhero. So I think it's very doable. I agree with Question it's best fit would probably be YA (my favorite genre).

7. KrystaK

KrystaK New Member

As far as super hero's go, I prefer them more realistic, like the x-men. I don't really like Superman, he's to out there, to indestructible I suppose. As a YA myself, may I suggest going for realism and a logical take on the story? So something that's believable, rather than totally out there?. I can understand it being a different universe or something to make it unique, but still, nothing attributed to magic or something - like in x-men how it's their genetics that make them unique and gives them power. None of that 'they are the chose one.' stuff...

Just a thought. I'm just a little tired of prophecy's and such in all the fantasy books I read. I know that's just a way writers make something seem inevitable, or how they describe fate, but it's been a tad over done.
    That's just my rant though, go ahead and make it however you want :) Just thought you may want the opinions of a YA to help.

8. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

If you think it is worth writing, write it. It's your time and sweat that will go into it, and the appeal your story generates is proportional to the dedicated effort you put into it.

It's pointless to ask for opinions on the idea. Ask for opinion s when you hav e a piece of writing that is as good as you can make it.

9. kablooblab

kablooblab New Member

People say that alot here. Sometimes its just fun to discuss your ideas

10. IrishLantern

IrishLantern New Member

Yeah, but you can spend all the time you want discussing ideas, but sometimes it's better to just get stuck in. You'll find out when you're writing whether or not the story will work. And if it turns out not to, then it's all practice!