1. Abraham First

Abraham First Member

Out-of-this-world type of character. Must they be philosophical?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Abraham First, Feb 20, 2017.

So I just finished watching a series this week. It was an adaptation of a novel. Detective fiction. So the MC (the sleuth) is a professor in IT.

The villain is 29-years old who own a research facility. She was described as prodigy. She acquired her undergraduate degree at 10, and had her world-known and award-winning thesis published at 13. She created the facility at 15.

From the beginning until the end of the story, she was described as a person with deep insight. She talk about her own view at morals and its values. Which I must agreed it was really beyond any human with regular mind to comprehend.

Then I remember a similar character from Sherlock. Eurus Holmes. The secret sister that is smarter than Sherlock himself. She and her game of moral values, which succeeded in making Sherlock and his companion miserable.

Now I found this same trait in all Out-of-this-world type of characters. So back to my question, must they be philosophical?

I am intrigued the create this kind of character but I don't know anything about philosophies. And if I have to research it beforehand I am afraid my readers will feel that the character is a textbook and not naturally written. But if I take off the philosophical trait from the character, it won't feel as an out-of-this-world character. What should I do to create this type of character?

2. NiallRoach

NiallRoach Contributor Contributor

No, they needn't. And for what it's worth, I loathed Eurus on every level. Not as a character, which would have been a good thing (antagonist and all that), but purely as a device for conveying the story.

Anything which steps away from that car crash gets mucho big points off me.

Shadowfax likes this.
  3. S A Lee

S A Lee Contributor Contributor

Philosophy is built from how those we deem to be great philosophers saw the world and human nature. We all have a philosophy, one builds their moral compass on it.

Take Vulcans from Star Trek, they deem their own emotions dangerous and thus shut them down in favour of logic. Raven from Teen Titans worked on a similar motion to stop her power getting out of control.

Those who go through trauma tend to have a very different worldview from someone who lived a very cushy life. Similarly we didn't always see slavery in the way we do now.

Personal philosophy, morality and world views tie together, to put it all shirt.