1. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

A kid is raised in the sea without clothes...

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by Lorddread, Apr 19, 2011.

How might they cope with clothing?

2. Smoke

Smoke New Member

It would be itchy, interfere with how they move, they wouldn't know how to move with their clothing....

You're male, so I'm assuming that you've never tried to wear pantyhose. Or a skirt. Or something that threatened to show your nipples if you moved wrong.

As a female, I never got used to the issues of any form of sheer full-leg stocking. That also went into not knowing the finer points of wearing a skirt.

I think your best bet in this case is to find a female friend who accepts the "author research" angle and helps you with a cross-dressing session. It might be less-weird if you wait until Halloween.

3. Melzaar the Almighty

Melzaar the Almighty Contributor Contributor

A lot of your characters are about kids raised in odd circumstances. Are you Virginia Andrews? :p

2 people like this.
  4. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Weird thought but might a male kid in this scenario prefer girl's clothing, to him a dress might be less tight and chaffy than pants.

5. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Who's V.C Andrew's?

6. Elgaisma

Elgaisma Contributor Contributor

I still don't think it would be a huge issue. It would be like a child coming out of the womb in effect (lots of water and different lighting), most babies seem to welcome clothes. They like the feeling of being cocooned - being naked is scary their limbs are not longer floating.

Someone in the sea is always covered. If anything they would be more likely to bind their arms to stop them moving funny.

7. Smoke

Smoke New Member

I don't have dangly bits, but that's half of the reason I shop in the men's section. Last pair of women's jeans I tried on cut off blood supply to my chaffy bits even without being pulled up high enough to cover my crack.

Read the tips section on utilikilt.

8. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So how might they react to modesty?

9. Elgaisma

The male will probably want his danglie bits contained lol I don't have em but should imagine they feel different in water (I mean the ones I have seen tend to float a bit in the sea) - I can see undies helping contain a weird sensation. Now my mind is wondering about too much water exposure - if he had never had them before now that could be bizarre?

As I have said I think like babies they would at least intially welcome clothes - human children then seem to go through a phase of wanting to be undressed (not all my daughter is the ultimate prude, my son the ultimate exhibitionist and my third likes to exhibit a little bit then wants his clothes back), then they hit about seven or eight and they lock the door to brush their teeth,

If you are considering humans, how we are born, how we react to clothes - at their age in a western human society - their intial reaction will be to want clothes, then at their age probably welcome it.

1 person likes this.
  10. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

So what might their body language show that their not used to wearing anything?

11. Trish

Trish Damned if I do and damned if I don't Contributor

My guess is you already looked it up since she asked if you were "Virginia Andrews" and you've come back with V.C. Andrews. Read more.

12. Elgaisma

But they are used to wearing sea water.

13. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Sorry typo.

14. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Well they're still not used to clothes, sea water's just the aether to them.

15. Elgaisma

no you are missing the point - sea water will affect the way they move, the weight of their bodies, it has been surrounding them constantly. Salt water is kind of stingy and sharp against the body.

They are out in the air, their bodies are heavy, moving funny. I really don't think clothing will be a big deal or if it is it will be a big deal to get it on - to restrict the funny jerky limbs, protect the body from the air etc Human babies spend nine months floating around in water and for them clothing, swaddling etc seems to provide comfort. Look at some youtube videos of newborn babies the way their bodies jerk around. Part of that is the lack of coordination but another is the lack of water - all three of mine have had much better coordination in water intially it would soothe and comfort them if I took them in the big bath with me and let them play.

When you focus on what it is like coming onto land consider first what it must have been like in the water.

16. Smoke

Smoke New Member

Put a cat in a harness and dial back the reaction by about 50%

17. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

Any forms of clothing that might be especially odd to them?

18. Show

Show Contributor Contributor

This is a human who lives IN the sea? Have they ever spent any time on land at all? Or in some kind of cave?

I don't think it'd be too hard for them to adapt to clothes. But I think it'd depend on the situation. Why are they suddenly being moved to land? I think all the factors as to why could influence their view of clothes. Personality is also a factor.

Which reaction would work better for what you want? Do you want them to have a seemless transition to clothes or do you want it to be an issue of conflict? You can work both.

1 person likes this.
  19. Kio

Kio New Member

It depends on how old these kids are. If they are about, I don't know, five or something and they're already used to running around underwater in the nude, then there might be a bit of resistance. However, afterward, the kids will get used to the idea of wearing clothes. Imagine putting clothes on your pet; they'd probably want to take it off because it feels funny on them. But after some persistence, they give up and stop trying to take off the clothes.

20. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

They can breath underwater. And they're like eightish.

21. Kio

Kio New Member

Eight? Then I imagine the clothes would be awkward on them, at first, considering they have gone eight years without clothes and probably felt comfortable just the way they were. However, they will probably adapt after a certain amount of time.

22. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

How might they react to nudity taboos?

23. Kio

Kio New Member

Probably with confusion and they might possibly even be offended by such taboos. They would wonder what was wrong with their bodies and probably think that they should try to accomedate by wearing clothes. Many creatures have the ability to quickly adapt to foreign environments, so the confusion would last for a bit until they finally got used to the idea of wearing clothes, things that were once very foreign to them. I'd say it would take about a month. Just a guess though.

24. Lorddread

Lorddread Member

I could see them developing the idea that clothes can be usfuel, like maybe they get caught in the cold rain, get their feet cut ecetera. But how might they react being expected to wear a bathing suit while swimming?

25. Kio

Kio New Member

The same way, I suppose. Initially, they would be completely confused because they spent their entire lives living underwater naked, but, eventually, they would recognise that it is identified as inappropriate to those around them and they would eventually get used to it. I'm not saying they would like the rule and, perhaps, they would swim in the nude when alone since that would probably make them more comfortable, but they would know that it is not tolerated among peers to even swim naked.