1. SolZephyr

SolZephyr Member Supporter

Capitalizing "Hell" equivalents

Discussion in 'Word Mechanics' started by SolZephyr, Jun 22, 2018.

In my WIP, the colloquial equivalent of "what the hell" would be "what the Depths," referring to a specific location: the Muddy Depths.

I know that if I were to refer to the Muddy Depths explicitly I should capitalize them. I also know to capitalize, for example, the States when referring to the United States .

What I'm not sure is if I need to capitalize the shorthand of just "Depths" or not. I'm inclined to think that I should, but I feel it makes the expression stand out too much when it's capitalized.

Thoughts?

2. BayView

BayView Huh. Interesting. Contributor

Yeah, if it's a reference to the name of a specific place, it's a proper noun, and those get capitals even if they're short forms.

(Some style guides allow Hell to not be capitalized in a "what the hell?" context because it's not clearly referencing an actual place and instead is just a sort of general obscenity. So.. "What the hell? We're in Hell?" might actually be grammatically correct.)

SolZephyr and izzybot like this.