1. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

Typing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SayWhatNow?, Sep 23, 2009.

I was in computer class yesterday and a girl (whom I have a crush on, but that is irrelavent) leaned over during a typing exercise to say "dang, you're fast." I simply replied in a casual voice, "I write."

to the point of the post, has writing made you a typing God or improve it at all?

2. garmar69

garmar69 Contributor Contributor

Nope. I think two chickens banging away on a keyboard could out type me. I seem to have bad habits so deeply ingrained now that I can't fix them.

3. SonnehLee

SonnehLee Contributor Contributor

I type at 70 wpm. The people who took the same typing class as me type around 40 wpm.

I don't know if I'm just gifted with typing, or if the answer is yes.

4. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

Writing has not helped my typing in the least bit. I type with my two index fingers and my two middle fingers. Occasionally one of my ring fingers makes a cameo. My right thumb is tasked to the space key, my left thumb is understudy but has never had the chance to take the stage. My pinkies know only the shift keys.

5. ChimmyBear

ChimmyBear Writing for the love of it. Contributor

It has helped me some, but not enough I brag about it. I seriously could improve...:rolleyes:

6. ValianceInEnd

ValianceInEnd Active Member

Actually it was one of those very computer classes that taught me to type fast. If not for that class, I would still be pokey at the keyboard. :redface:

7. rbreg7

rbreg7 New Member

I am a two-finger typist and I always have been. I think writing from a young age on a computer helps. I always was made fun of for using proper capitalization and punctuation on AOL Instant Messenger, but I feel that helped my speed more than anything. I will say that, despite all of that, I am still only a notch above average in terms of speed.

8. jonathan hernandez13

jonathan hernandez13 Contributor Contributor

actually it might have, but thats assuming that I necessarily do a great deal of writing on the computer. I wish I did, but I seem to have this obsession with paper (I think I like the smell)

I am forced by the nature of the business to transfer over all my writing to the electonic medium, usually through a very laborious process for me.

I have discovered that the process has become less painful and that I do seem to be doing a hell of a lot less "chicken pecking" than previously.

Could also have something to do with the fact that I now live vicariously thorugh my computer from sunup to sundown and am constantly pecking away at it:rolleyes:(I am a cyborg):p

9. hiddennovelist

hiddennovelist Contributor Contributor

I don't know if I would attribute it to writing...I guess I could, since most of my typing experience has been while working on stories...but I'm like that too. I type 80 WPM, and everyone at work always just stands there and stares at me while I'm typing with this look on their face like they're trying to decide if I'm human or a robot.

*shrug*

I like typing.

10. SAN

SAN New Member

When I'm in the 'zone' I can get up to 90 words a minute but my usual speed is probably closer to 65 or 70...I have a bad habit of looking at the keys too much, though. I don't have to look at them, I'm just lazy.

Writing has definitely helped me with maintaining my typing skills. Practice makes perfect, as they say.

11. Lydia

Lydia Contributor Contributor

Hmm, like Jonathan, I mostly write on paper anyway.
    I think my typing speed is okay, but my fingers are never placed right... :redface: I propably could do it faster if I took the time to do that... :p

12. Unit7

Unit7 Contributor Contributor

I don't think I am a fast typist. Don't think writing has improved it any. Though maybe if I were to actually use the proper technique of typing I would type faster? Oh well I like typing the way I do and it seems to fit me just fine. :)

I just took a typing speed test twice and I got 69 and 70 something.

Though on the 69 score I made an error and tried to correct it but my finger kept messing me up. Then I had to refind my place(I peeked at the keyboard lol)

13. Gone Wishing

Gone Wishing New Member

I wouldn't say that writing, or typing my work, has made me a faster typer, but MSN - and having four conversations at once - certainly has. XD

14. mistressoftheflies

mistressoftheflies New Member

I still peck even after all those ATYPE lessons we did in elementary. ;]
    But I probably go at a speed of around 70 wpm even so; I've kinda memorized where the keys are by now!

15. Alone And Tired

Alone And Tired New Member

There's 2 sides to it with me...
    I end up staring at a screen wondering what comes next for ages so not much typing is involved
    ...But when something comes I type it down like lightning!

I can type pretty fast when I'm not tired. When I am tired though it all goes a bit pear-shaped. I make about 70 mistakes per minute let alone words.

16. mammamaia

mammamaia nit-picker-in-chief Contributor

i used to pay a typist 12 bucks an hour, to turn my typewriter written messes into submittable form, till it ate too much into my budget and i got computerized, so i could fix all my own typos... that was over a quarter century ago...

has my typing improved since?... yer dern tootin'!!!

17. Mercurial

Mercurial Contributor Contributor

I suppose writing has helped exercise my ability to type quickly and keep the reflexes nimble, but before I ever started writing on a computer, I used a pen and paper most of the time --because it was faster than using my two index fingers.

In sixth grade, six years ago, I was required to take a typing course, and my speed was up to 180 (educated guess) GWAM (gross words a minute?) by the end of the thirteen week course. I'd say writing frequently on the computer has helped keep my speed somewhat elevated beyond 180 GWAM...

I hated every minute of the typing class, but in retrospect, it's one of the most valuable trimester courses I've ever taken. I dont remember what I learned in sixth grade biology, but keyboarding is something I use every day. :)

18. star_fire

star_fire New Member

i type around 100 wpm (words per minute) with about 97 percent accuracy, but i've been in typing classes since second grade. writing and typing go hand in hand for me. i originally took up writing because of the conveniency of my fast typing. and without my writing, i probably would have stopped typing in late elementary (since classes were not offered).
    although, i have to say, i really try to hand write my drafts whenever i can. :)

19. Wicked Redhead

Wicked Redhead New Member

Okay, advice deleted.

20. DragonGrim

DragonGrim New Member

I’m surprised there aren’t more great typists here, being an internet forum. Anyway, I type properly and all that, but I do it in spurts. I’ll type a sentence or two, my brain will reset its parameters, and then I’ll type some more. So, I guess I type as fast as I think – not very fast.

21. Gigi_GNR

Gigi_GNR Guys, come on. WAFFLE-O. Contributor

absolutely! my writing has enabled me to type really fast without looking at the keys anymore. :D

22. SayWhatNow?

SayWhatNow? New Member

Thank you but I can do without advice from someone whose location is behind the BDSM club :p