1. Charles Neal

Charles Neal Banned

Warriors At World's End

Discussion in 'Plot Development' started by Charles Neal, Aug 9, 2021.

Could this be satisfying to see? A prequel to my story covering the original timeline and how it all came to an end. The Knights of the Empire have been fighting the aliens not knowing they were harbingers of a powerful demon whom they've released, one of their own has betrayed them and taken several units with him, the imperial family and several knights are dead and as they look up to the night sky they notice the stars being devoured. They decide to charge directly into the enemy to take down as many as they can in one last suicidal assault. (Then another character reverses time so that it can be prevented.)

2. Chromewriter

Chromewriter Contributor Contributor

Hi Charles,
    Satisfying to see? Depends on how you write it I guess. :)

But seems grand and epic enough.

3. Nesrin

Nesrin Member

Currently Reading::
    A discovery of Witches/Lord of the Rings
    This is hard to answer without the plot of your actual story. I think prequels are great however there needs to be a point to it. If the information that you would include could be added to your story as background the audience learns throughout the plot then maybe a prequel is not needed. On the other hand, if you can use the prequel to build on your character development then that would be great. If the timeline that your referring to has no effect on the current timeline of your story then it might confuse readers.

4. Charles Neal

Charles Neal Banned

There's actually quite a bit going on in the background regarding a certain moment that needs to be explained.

5. Nesrin

Nesrin Member

Currently Reading::
    A discovery of Witches/Lord of the Rings
    Than, if you feel the need, go for it! I don't beleive there is a rule to how long a prequel needs to be. There are some that are a few chapters and some that are a whole book. The biggest thing to keep in mind is how it supports the reader. If you are introdicing characters that never make it into the plot of the main book then it could be confusing. Every character you write should have a purpose.
    Anyways! Go for it! See where it takes you.

6. making tracks

making tracks Active Member

Does the reader know beforehand that time will be reversed and changed? I think it could be a really fun read - but it can feel incredibly unsatisfying at the end of it suddenly turns out it was all inconsequential, kind of like 'then they woke up and it was all a dream'. But if you know going in it's not going to last you can enjoy it for what it is.