1. Osmio

Osmio New Member

Greetings, Potential Compatriots!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Osmio, Jul 4, 2015.

I stumbled across this place a few days ago, and, after lurking like some sort of animal for a while, I decided it was in my best interest to simply man-up and join in.

Alright, so, I guess this is the part where I tell you that my life has always been a little rough. When I was a kid, my family moved almost yearly, never staying in the same place for more than three years, which, of course, was a bit distressing. I always hated losing all my old friends just to go somewhere new and lose the new friends later. I also suffered depression and anxiety to the point where some days I would be ripping my hair out, while on other days, I would be unable to even get the motivation to walk. I did find an escape though: Fiction.

The first fiction novel I ever finished, The Hobbit, was like a portal to a better world. I was not some awkward antisocial and nerdy kid, but I was part of a grand journey, an epic adventure. I quickly forgot about my own life and delved into Tolkien's world, which, I must say, was much preferable to mine.

From that moment on, I wanted nothing more than to make my own world. I wanted to make characters who would both love and hate this world. I wanted to share this world with as many people as would read it.
    Unfortunately, I lost my motivation recently. I hope that being in a community of other writers will refresh my mind.

Thanks for having me, guys and girls. Stay beautiful.

2. Shadowfax

Shadowfax Contributor Contributor

Hi Osmio,

If you stay long enough, you'll learn that I'm a bit of a grammar Nazi...so, do your really believe that we're all potential members of the same nation as you?

Don't take this the wrong way, it's just that I believe that, as writers, we should choose our words very carefully.

3. Osmio

Osmio New Member

I was referring to the forum as a nation for the sake of the title. Of course, it's not an ideal comparison, so the confusion is understood.

4. Komposten

Komposten Insanitary pile of rotten fruit Contributor

Welcome to the forum, Osmio!

I'm sure you'll fit right in here and find again the motivation that once pushed you toward wonder and beyond! E.g., if you're looking for a little inspiration you could take a look at the forum's writing contests (see my signature for links).

Here's a link to the New Member Quick Start, by the way. It will take you through the forum's rules and general layout.

Have fun! :)