1. ManOrAstroMan

ManOrAstroMan Magical Space Detective Contributor

Teacher Titles?

Discussion in 'Setting Development' started by ManOrAstroMan, Sep 24, 2013.

I'm working on a story that takes place in a private school. It is a fantasy story, and magic is taught at the school, but the curriculum still centers around things like literature, algebra, history, biology, etc.
    My question is: Should the teachers be called Professer, or Mister/Miss/Miz/Missus? A couple of the teachers have actual doctorates, and are addressed as Doctor, but not the others.
    Is Professor too Hogwartsy? Too collegiate for what is basically a private high school? Or is Mr/Ms/Mrs too INformal, too public school?

2. Thomas Kitchen

Thomas Kitchen Proofreader in the Making Contributor

Sir or Miss is fine, but if you really want a "private school" class to it all, maybe Professor is the right way to go.

3. minstrel

minstrel Leader of the Insquirrelgency Supporter Contributor

I suppose you could use Master. Maybe even Sensei! Or just make something up. Guru. "This is Mister Smith, our algebra guru." :)

4. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Maybe something like Master and Mistress
    - or -
    Sir and Madame
    - or -
    Chancellor (although that is usually a senator or honorary head of a university)
    - or-
    You could make something up or pull some ward that means something else entirely and make them use it as a title. If there is a good reason as to why the teachers are traditionally called _____, then I'll believe it. :p

I might just use professor. I mean, unless they are going to school to learn witchcraft and wizardry-- you know, waving wands and performing charms all day--I don't think it's too close to Hogwarts. That part really depends on your story, not what you

5. Arannir

Arannir Active Member

Sir/Ma'am would work fine. But if you want to have your teachers at a specific class, Professor/Doctor would work well.

6. Andrae Smith

Andrae Smith Bestselling Author|Editor|Writing Coach Contributor

Whatever it is, it has to feel natural. It can't really draw attention to itself... unless the entire book is about them deciding on what to cal the teachers... Then I probably wouldn't read it lol! :p

7. BillC

BillC New Member

Mr or Ms/Miss/Mrs would be the norm.
    Doctor if you have a PhD.
    A good way to point out someone's culture, if it's warranted by the story, would be Sensei for Japanese, Master for Chinese, Frau/Fraulein/Herr for German, Madame/Madamoiselle/Monsieur for French, Signore/Signor/Signora/Signorina/Signori for Italian...