1. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Stichomancy Writing Prompts

Discussion in 'Word games' started by Harmonices, Feb 2, 2019.

Stichomancy can be interesting, you get some really quirky results. Thought it might be worth a prompt thread.

Pick a book, any book, could be the one sitting nearest to you, or one you're currently reading or have just read. Close your eyes, open it anywhere and stick your finger on the page. Where it lands is your reading.

Compose a a few sentences or a paragraph prompted by the stichomancy above you, then add your own stichomancy reading for the next poster to do the same.

Today I got:

"As we move into the time of spirits."

2. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Wow, I had to look stichomancy up in the dictionary. Since I just learned it today I don't know if I would be any good at it.

Harmonices likes this.
  3. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Sorry, I didn't mean you need to interpret the meaning of the phrase, just make something fictional up using it as a writing prompt.

I've never been able to make any damn sense of what comes from sticking my finger randomly into a book. But the fragments can be kind of poetic.

EBohio likes this.
  4. EBohio

EBohio Banned

stichomancy
    Stichomancy (literally, divination from lines) is the practice of seeking answers to the great metaphysical questions, as well as trying to gain insight into the meaning of existence and reality, by reading random passages from a book such as the Bible.

If that is the definition, I am not quite sure of the exercise.

5. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Most electronic devices fail in infancy, or during the first few hours of operation.

(Sorry, an automechanic book was the only thing near me.)

Harmonices likes this.
  6. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Most electronic devices fail in infancy, or during the first few hours of operation. If only someone had told Arnold that before he headed off on his first date with Nancy.

(So am I doing this right. I take the sentence then try to start a story with it?)

Harmonices likes this.
  7. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Most electronic devices fail in infancy, or during the first few hours of operation. Not so the ZP500; made of toughened duranium and coated in puravite the 500 series was built to last. Androids were an expensive addition to the household, but like so many things since the sickness, they had become increasingly necessary; even in lower income homes. Rapidly taking the place of cleaners, carers, childminders and other domestic workers, the ZP500 was reckoned to be the best mid-range option on the market. And according to WhatDroid ezine, they could even serve as adequate surrogate partners for those on long haul journeys off-world.

Prompt:

"Anything you really learn, you learn from your body" (yoga book)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    EBohio likes this.
  8. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Yeah, that's pretty much the idea. We both came up with androids. Probably not surprising since there's a lot of fantasy/sci fi fans here :-D

9. EBohio

EBohio Banned

"Anything you really learn, you learn from your body", my wife said as she massaged the achiness out of my back. "Maybe next time when I say shovel the snow before the temperatures drop, you'll do it." I rolled over to face her but she fell to the floor. I didn't mean to do it, but the spasm of pain prevented me from catching her. I was really in the dog house then.

Some Guy and Harmonices like this.
  10. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

You've also got to give the next poster a prompt. Thanks for playing, sorry I mangled the explanation.

11. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Ok, got it. And I found another book.

prompt

Concerns about your health are normal, but if you're haunted by urealistic and excessive worries, you may be a...

Harmonices likes this.
  12. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Concerns about your health are normal, but if you're haunted by unrealistic and excessive worries, you may be alive. Most of the dead fear limbs falling off occasionally, it's part of the process of decomposition and can't be helped. There's always the Mambo you can go to if you want a little extension so to speak, but she charges an arm and a leg. Only joking, haha, my little joke. But seriously, she isn't cheap. Anyway, if you think you're getting the flu or the pox, do check your pulse. It's possible that transition wasn't complete and you might be in the wrong department.

Prompt:

Because of their rich golden colour

EBohio likes this.
  13. EBohio

EBohio Banned

You're doing a good job at this, @Harmonices

Harmonices likes this.
  14. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Because of their rich golden colour, Amelia's eyes drew her attention whenever she got close to the border. She wasn't able to pass like a lot of Indivs, and that made life challenging at times.

"What are you staring at, you fucking yellow-eyed freak!? Get away from the barrier, or I'll have you fucking zeroed!"

This wasn't the first time the Normie with the skateboard had abused Amelia in this way. The boy gave her the middle finger, then gobbed at her through the chain link fence that divided the city and skated away to the sound of cheers and applause from his group of cronies.

Later that night, Amelia sifted through her bank of images until she found him. Asleep now, in his bed. A night light on. Ahh, who would have guessed he was afraid of the dark? Amelia reached into her vision and blinked the light out. The boy woke up and leaned out of bed for the switch, clicking it repeatedly in frustration.

Then she rewound her memory and found the gob of snot he'd deployed onto her cheek earlier that day and relocated it back into his throat. Bigger this time. Much bigger. The boy choked and gagged, trying to breath but failing. Eventually after a period of struggle, he slumped unconscious back down onto the bed, jerking a little as his life left him.

Amelia's rich golden eyes turned to midnight black and she smiled to herself. One less dickhead in the world. At least there were some benefits to getting noticed all the time.

[Note: that last bit of stichomancy came from a cookery book, it was about eggs.]

Prompt (from Collins SAS guide):

A piece of antler or hard wood

Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  15. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

... fashioned with the brass guard and pommel will set the blade nicely. Antler is preferred, as the grip is best when bathed in blood.

"That plan is well known. You'll have to do better than that."

Harmonices likes this.
  16. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

Fine, we'll do what we're good at and wing it.

'Just a jab in the arm after every meal'

Harmonices and Some Guy like this.
  17. EBohio

EBohio Banned

Just a jab in the arm after every meal won't stop you from getting necrotizing fasciitis, aka flesh eating bacteria. In fact, it may cause it. The injection site will lead to large, violet-colored marks that transform into blisters filled with dark, foul-smelling fluid. Followed by discoloration, peeling, and flakiness as tissue death (gangrene) occurs. After four days you will develop a severe drop in blood pressure, toxic shock and unconsciousness. Then you die.

prompt

Married at 16 and separated at 18, Lauren suffered eight miscarriages, then landed in prison for forgery.

(an extra prize if you know what I was reading when my finger landed on that)

Harmonices likes this.
  18. Some Guy

Some Guy Manguage Langler Supporter Contributor

Modern Bride?

EBohio and Harmonices like this.
  19. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Bahaha! :-D

Some Guy likes this.
  20. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Fifty two years later, she finally gnawed her way out. Her teeth gone, her fingers broken and bleeding stumps. Yet within a fortnight Lauren was pregnant once again and back making counterfeit goods. Counterfeit worlds, counterfeit gravy boats, counterfeit memories. Whatever the black market wanted.

(no idea what the prompt came from)

A brief, but hysterical, spiritual crisis

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    EBohio likes this.
  21. EBohio

EBohio Banned

I doubt anyone would guess it, but it is a well known publication. It's funny how just one sentence can stand out and change context so much.

Harmonices likes this.
  22. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

A brief, but hysterical, spiritual crisis, provoked the archangels to meet in secret.

'What should we do?' Said Michael, a worried frown creasing his golden brow, 'Angels don't suffer from hysteria, what if it happens again? We have no remedy for this kind of malady!'

'Oh, I don't know' said Gabriel, 'I'm sure there's a solution. It is well known down there, that Hysteria is usually caused from want of a baby. '

Raphael chimed in, tossing back his robes in pique, 'Well, you would say that wouldn't you? You've never gotten over that big gig you had back in the day. Put us all in the shade! Ooh Gabriel, glorious Gabriel, appeared to the mother of God, announced the birth of the little baby Jesus. Ooh Gabriel! Everyone loves fucking Gabriel!'

Gabriel smiled his winning smile, the one he reserved for special occasions, 'Come on Raph, it's worth a shot isn't it? I'm sure we could come to some arrangement, you and I. You know I've always been ..fond of you.'

Raphael stopped pacing and turned to his blue robed brother.

'Well, if you put it like that.. maybe.. I suppose..?' Raphael turned coyly away, then looked back at Gabriel and fluttered his eyelashes.

'I'll be in the garden if anyone wants me. The apple blossom is so pretty at this time of year.'

The sort of thing that most people would keep silent

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  23. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

The sort of thing that most people would keep silent, is the same sort of thing that I shout out to the world. I've been told I have no inhibitions. Instead I am blessed with the kind of inner liberty more usually reserved for dogs and small children.

I wonder at others, their words so tightly controlled, stuffing down every slight potential slip in the armour of pretence. False selves, carefully cultivated, clipped and trimmed, and presented to the world as truth, as the real wild thing. I wonder what it would be like, to be like them. A plastic facade.

I could try one of their masks on for size, experiment with it. But then I worry that it could get stuck, I might never be able to remove it. Maybe it would become too safe and comfortable in there? Hiding in plain sight, no-one knowing who I really was. Yes, it must feel secure, like a big warm overcoat in winter. But I don't want to get comfortable, I like the wind on my skin, the cold rain on my face. I like shouting out to the world.

The others ignore me. Terrified of what secret truths I might tell them about themselves; not the truths that I say, but the truths that they see. This keeps them silent when they notice me. They walk quickly past, pretending I am not there. I'm invisible almost. Only the dogs and small children see me. Only the dogs and small children converse with me. We share a common bond they and I.

Verbalise the image's intended use

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Some Guy likes this.
  24. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

"Verbalise the image's intended use before you send it out. It needs to understand what its duties are before it can undertake them. They're sentient you see, much like a service dog ... Yes, no problem. Always glad to help! Remember, think big, see big!"

The customer advisor put down the phone and smiled to herself. Another day, another sale. Big V would be pleased.

The AI Imaging shop in New London was run by Big V, which was short for 'Big Vision', the name of the company. Big Vision had been in Big V's family for two generations now. Created initially by his grandfather, while tinkering in the shack that was the family home back then, Big Vision had started small but grown to rival any of the remaining international tech companies in the post-armageddon era.

The blinding had been almost universal, only a few had retained the ability to see the world. And what they saw, they didn't like. Enter Big Vision, the intelligent image solution to the post-armageddon blackout.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  25. Harmonices

Harmonices Senior Member

Fifty cups of a specially prepared foamy drink*, was the way it began, and it had all begun so innocently too.

A children's pyjama party couldn't be that hard to organise could it, thought Eliza. She loved volunteering with the local Rainbows group and they were exceptionally bright and well behaved children. So Eliza went shopping. The recipe cutting looked lovely when her sister Janet showed it to her: a pound of sugar, ten lemons, two cinnamon sticks and ten pints of freshly pressed apple juice.

How she'd managed to confuse pressed apple with thorn apple was anyone's guess, but now Eliza had fifty small corpses to dispose of before their parents began arriving at the village hall, later that morning. The sun was already peeping over the horizon, and Eliza had another shopping list now: hatchet, bin bags, duct tape, bleach, air freshener.

Ooh, she thought, better get some extra strength Marigolds as well!

Fatigue, hunger and thirst*

*From a book on herbs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019