1. King007

King007 New Member

I'm starting an English writing club in my university. I'm new to this. Can you help?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by King007, Dec 20, 2016.

Let me start by saying that English is not the first language of my country. So, I'm not talking about a group of people meeting together each seriously considering publishing a book. Some may fall into that category, and some may just be in love with English. So, I'm not planning on focusing on plot, setting, character development. The focal point of our club is improving our writing skills. It's about mastering the language. So that, if a time comes when one decides to write a book, the language will be an advantage, not a barrier.

A lot of people expressed their desire to join the club. Like I said I don't want to teach/learn English from the ground up. What I'm looking for is people with an already advanced level. Because writing as I've come to realize is pretty challenging even for the most skilled. That said, I'm not sure if a great number of people is suitable for this kind of club. Because it's all about participation, and with more people, the time will be even more divided, which could mean less engagement per person => club is dead.

* What do you think is the appropriate number of members?

As for activities, I have some in mind:
    - Each session, a member will bring up a favorite book passage. We will read it out loud by turn, discuss it, then rewrite it, each with their unique style.
    - We decide on a writing prompt and take 20 minutes to write something about it. Then we discuss what we wrote and what we could have added. (Not sure about this one, what do you think?)
    - Each time a new or difficult word comes up, we search for its meaning, then put it in a list of words. At the beginning of each session we quiz each other about these words.
    - Make a list of beautiful lines or metaphors, memorize them, and try to express differently.

* What do you think of this list? Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    Simpson17866 likes this.
  2. Simpson17866

Simpson17866 Contributor Contributor

Welcome aboard!

Can I just be the first one here to say that everything in here sounds fantastic :)
    I'm actually not what you would call a "people-person," but I would guess that 5 or 10 would be a good size for each group (if you get more people than that, you could always split into 2 or 3 smaller groups per meeting).

I actually made a thread about something like this if you want to take a look:
    https://www.writingforums.org/threads/what-i-want-from-you-is-your-voice.149125/

It could work for a lot of people, but some of us need more time to come up with a passage to write about.

Sounds good!

King007 likes this.