Tags:
  1. Affillate

Affillate New Member

Down the track when pigs fly, is my Work protected?

Discussion in 'Traditional Publishing' started by Affillate, Jul 2, 2009.

Hey Everyone,

Just a Quick Question, I'm almost ready to begin my WebOriginal work on a blog in the style of a TV show, But I'm a little tentative about a few things before I post the first few episode drafts for critique.

At the present moment It's just for fun and to improve myself as a writer by sharing with others, But years down the track by some cosmic twist of fate It gets attention to be made into something/published, What measures can I take to make sure it has some level of Copyright protection?

It's currently being hosted on a Wordpress.com Blog, and I have applied one of those Creative Commons Licence stamps on every page. Is this enough?

It's just The story is one of the most original Creative writing Ideas I've ever had and I think it will grow into something I'll be really proud of, so I want to make sure it's properly protected if Pigs Fly and Someone wants to take advantage of its popularity later on if you know what I mean.

Any Help? Thanks. :)

2. Cogito

Cogito Former Mod, Retired Supporter Contributor

The good news is that you own the copyright from the moment you finished a draft.

The bad news is that by posting it on a blog site you have shot yourself in the foot in terms of selling it to a publisher. Publishers are almost universally only interested in writing that has not previously been published. Internet posting falls under previous publication for those purposes.

3. Affillate

Affillate New Member

Thanks Cogito.

Yeah Like I said at the moment I just want to get it out there and see what people think, I don't expect it to go great places commercial-wise (highly unlikely to happen anyway) but you never know.

So your comment that Publishers/TV Executives mightn't be interested in an already 'published' work (And anyone else who tries to plagiarize and sell it to them or something) sounds great and calms my fears somewhat. :)