Tags:
  1. Raven

Raven Banned

No welfare without English lessons, say Tories

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Raven, May 27, 2008.

The Conservatives are planning on making unemployment benefit contingent on non-English speakers taking language classes.
    Chris Grayling, shadow work and pensions secretary, will announce the policy at a speech later today on welfare reform.

Under the plans, non-English speakers who apply for unemployment benefit will be given mandatory English lessons in an effort to increase their employability.

The private or third sector groups which would run job centres under a Tory administration would then be given a larger financial reward for finding those with poor language skills employment.

Quizzed on how the plans would work, a Conservative spokeswoman told politics.co.uk: "When someone goes to the provider, they will be assessed and if their English isn't up to scratch they will have to attend a mandatory English language training course. A higher price will then be put on their head in terms of the providers being paid per result."

But the measures could see British citizens being denied welfare if they refuse to attend the classes.

The speech will further underline the Tories' tough stance on welfare provision, with Mr Grayling expected to stress no young person should be sitting at home instead of going into work.

"We plan to introduce much tougher rules for young people under the age of twenty-one claiming job seekers’ allowance," he will say.

"For this group, the welfare to work process will start much earlier. There will be employment 'boot camps' and community work programmes for those who don’t find a job. Staying at home doing nothing will be a thing of the past."

2. Wreybies

Wreybies Thrice Retired Supporter Contributor

At least the Tories are looking to improve the system of social services for not just the individual, but for the country as a whole, IMHO.

In America, a proposal like that would be scandalous because of culturally heated race issues.

*prepares for ponage*

3. Al B

Al B New Member

Well, the top and bottom of it is, nobody is being denied welfare, they are just being made to do something in return for receiving it, which is after how the system of welfare is supposed to work. So the only ones denied, would be the ones who don't want to contribute to society in any way, and if that's their position, then they've already denied something themselves, by refusing to be part of the whole. And if that's how they feel well then tough luck.

Al

4. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I really like this idea. I hope they get a chance to pass.
    It makes people learn a vital skill, they still get welfare, and it makes them more employable and more adapted to English society, its a win-win situation. So I expect to hear them called heartless monsters in about 3 minutes by various newspapers and 'multiculturalists'.

5. Wreybies

I am a steadfast multiculturalist, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. We're not all so dodgy. As a Puerto Rican raised in the United States, it freaks me out when people of my generation, within my family, with similar time in the States speak broken English. It happens! They get caught in insular communites where English is not really needed and somehow manage to avoid learning English either well, or sometimes at all.

I'm not down for that.

6. Domoviye

Domoviye New Member

Proud Canadian. Currently teaching in Nanjing, Chi
    I'm with you Wreybies. I'm all for multiculturalism myself, I'm currently trying to convince my Chinese girlfriend/not quite fiancee to come to Canada. But if a person wants to live in a foreign country permanently, they should learn the language. Also while keeping their culture close to their heart and sharing it with others, realize that the laws of the new country trumps their old laws.
    When I see immigrants degrading my country and my countries beliefs on tv, saying "I must change to suit them," I really want to say "Go home." If a country has invited you in and given you a better life, don't insult it. Politely trying to convince others to change is fine, but keep it civil and keep it democratic.
    Too many people just want to scream, shout, and threaten, so that the weak kneed governments and 'multiculturalists' will bow to their wishes to keep the peace. Unfortunately its working。

7. Wreybies

That is so reminiscent of living in Florida. So many New Englanders move/retire to the Sunshine State only to make an art out of complaining about how everything up north is better and Florida sucks the paint right off the wall. My answer always was, “US-1 will take you all the way back, anytime you please. It’s not even a toll rode, so it will only cost you the gas. You don’t like it here? Then GO!”

8. schrei

schrei New Member

This has more good things than it has bad of course. You'll get you're normal people that will be all about being forced to learn English but in a way it's like forcing a child to learn how to talk properly. It's going to help them live a better life in the country, is it not?

Har, I'm all for this man.

9. Kit

Kit Contributor Contributor

I personally think its a really good idea, because those that really do want to work and aren't just intending to sponge of the state will still recieve the necessary benefits and they'll get a better chance at making a go of it here whereas those that come here just for the benefits will struggle.

The idea of community workgroups and employment boot camps is a good idea for the same reason. The people that don't attend those are the ones who are just trying to get money for nothing and they'll no longer be able to do it, whereas the ones who do attend will be the ones deserving of the benefits.

People say that there is a job for everyone, but I know people in their 30s who have worked since school leaving age without ever having claimed job seekers allowance who have struggled to get a new job despite years of experience. Its not as easy as people expect and for those who are trying, we need to support them long enough to try.

Oh and I don't think race or anything should even factor into it. We should apply these rules to native english speakers - if they are physically, emotionally and mentally capable of working but they're not going to try and increase their employability, then they shouldn't be allowed to have jobseeker's allowance.