1. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Sketchy Symbolism (Trigger warning)

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by DarkPen14, May 29, 2019.

The concept is thus: there's a heavily disjointed order of dragon slayers, and by disjointed I mean they're only an order because you have to take an oath, but they rarely communicate except when they cross paths. These slayers have their armor and weapons from the first dragon they kill, but the dragon's coloration does not affect the color of the armor and weapons, as that is determined by how the slayer in question sees the world around them. This is usually perceived as a reflection of their personality, but not always. The slayer I'm having trouble with has black armor, which people might assume is because he is, for lack of better terms, a bad guy. That's not why, though. His armor is black because he simply cannot see the world around him, he's blind. He relies on the small bit of magic that comes with being a dragon slayer to sense the world around him, but he cannot see, which is why his armor is black. He sees darkness, because he can't see at all.

Now, I know physical disabilities and other handicaps are a touchy subject for a lot of people, and I fully expect someone to take offense to this. However, I'm wondering what else this pattern might reflect? What colors would you associate with certain personalities and world views?
    If someone says a gay slayer's armor is a rainbow

2. Alan Aspie

Alan Aspie Banned Contributor

I have talked with some blind people. Non of them have said they see black.

Maybe you should check how blind people see what they see or not.

marshipan and jannert like this.
  3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

if he is blind since birth he will have no concept of colour because colours are visual, so he wouldn't know black from red ... if he's become blind it is reasonable that his absence of sight might be perceived as blackness... either way you are over thinking it, its a fantasy - his armour can be black for whatever reason you wish

DarkPen14, Bluedango and jannert like this.
  4. Bluedango

Bluedango Member

Was he blind before or did he get blinded on the job? If he was a blind man long before he was a slayer then there might be a chance that he found a way or two to compensate for his limitations. How about focusing on the armor's physical form and utility instead? You could make him not want to wear a helmet or wear a more exposed set so he could feel the world around him better.

DarkPen14 likes this.
  5. ChickenFreak

ChickenFreak Contributor Contributor

I'm unclear on whether you want this character to have black armor and this is the explanation, or you don't care at all but the only color you can imagine using is the color you get when you close your eyes, on the assumption that that's the color that a blind person "sees"?

I can think of several different ways to justify a different color. A subset of my thoughts:
    • You could assume that color has no meaning for this character, and therefore these objects will just be the natural color of the materials they're made of.
    • They could be white, which is just as much a "no color" color as black.
    • They could vary, always being different colors, because his thoughts don't "fix" them as having a specific color, because, again, color has no meaning for him.
    • They could be whatever color they were when the dragon was wearing them.
    • The magic could establish a sort of consensus of how the population sees a color. This could go beyond your character. If a character sees himself primarily as a death-bringer, so that in some countries his color is black, he could go to a country where the color of mourning and death is white, and suddenly find that his stuff as white.
    • Obviously, if he hasn't always been blind, they can be whatever color had the proper meaning when he wasn't blind.

DarkPen14 likes this.
  6. DarkPen14

DarkPen14 Florida Man in Training Contributor

Okay... the blind character's reason for having black armor took focus over the actual question. My fault, explanation time
    The reason I said he only sees darkness is from descriptions of "the lights going out" when someone is blinded, which seems to be a popular concept I find easy to work with once properly defined. The armor color is dependent on how individual sees the world, but since the "lights went out", he sees black because, as Moose suggested, his brain interprets the absence of vision as darkness, in accordance with "the lights going out". In his case, his armor changed color to reflect this, because in his case the how he saw the world factor became literal. (I kinda have this vague idea that originally his armor was very bright and then vision went bye-bye, and over time it darkened, which might result in some interesting interactions with the secondary characters, because one happens to believe that the black armor means he is evil at heart until she learns the actual reason why.)
    So that's why his armor is black and why blindness=black void in this case. And because of the way he "sees" (sensing the shapes of objects and entities around him through magic), this also means he does not like flying, because there's not much in the sky to sense, so he'd have no way of knowing where he is if he winds up in the sky.

Hopefully, that clears it up. What I was originally asking was, what colors and patterns would you associate with certain personality types and world views, with a probably poorly thought out joke about the LGBTQ+-=/ (whatever the acronym looks like at this point) symbol being a rainbow.

Last edited: May 31, 2019