1. Dick Johnson

Dick Johnson Active Member

Getting Older

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Dick Johnson, Nov 8, 2021.

I'm no longer the same as I used to be.

I heard Joe Biden farted in front of Princess Camilla and pooped his pants as he talked with the pope.

I hope that doesn't happen to me, but it probably will. It's the curse of age.

2. Hammer

Hammer Moderator Staff Supporter Contributor

I had to check which section this had been posted in. When I read it, I wondered whether it was a poetic form with which I was previously not familiar.

3. Xoic

Xoic Prognosticator of Arcana Ridiculosum Contributor Blogerator

It already happened, to all of us. It's why we had to start wearing diapers (I mean the first time). In fact, getting older is the only way we go, and have been doing it all our lives. It's a one way trip.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
  4. Vince Higgins

Vince Higgins Curmudgeon. Contributor

Currently Reading::
    Caltrans-Detention Basins Design Guide
    In order to stay this side of the dirt I have started going on long walks. On one recently there was an incident such as one the OP mentioned above. Thankfully there was a gag shack (portapotti) with a sufficient supply of paper towels at the trailhead. The skivvies were left in the hole. I continued on my hike commando style.

ThunderAngel likes this.
  5. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I haven’t shat myself yet, but I do know the older I get the further away from people I want to be.

Chromewriter and Shayne like this.
  6. Link the Writer

Link the Writer Flipping Out For A Good Story. Contributor

I found that the older I get, the more I like myself. I feel wiser, luckier, and I can be the avuncular compassionate internet uncle showering tolerance and encouragement to everyone on the internet.

7. ThunderAngel

ThunderAngel Contributor Contributor

I had someone tell me at work the other day that I looked nineteen. Considering I'm almost half a century in age, it was a real complement. :cheerleader:

8. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

I forgot what my age was yesterday.
    A coworker asked me and i blanked. I gave her a year younger than i was before i remembered how old i really was.
    Her response was "i didnt know you were around my age!!"

Ive been thinking about that ever since.
    The security guard and i are the same age and he said i looked like a child compared to him (he's had a rough life).
    But the way this coworker said it makes me think she thought i was way older than i actually was.
    Dont know why it bothers me.
    I dont want to be "old" yet

9. Catriona Grace

Catriona Grace Mind the thorns Contributor Contest Winner 2022

I generally tell people who ask that I am 76 which is ten years older than my actual age. I look damn good for 76. :superagree:

Chromewriter likes this.
  10. SapereAude

SapereAude Contributor Contributor

So when DO you want to be old? :twisted:

Chromewriter likes this.
  11. Thundair

Thundair Contributor Contributor

I turned 80 in July. I retired at 74 so I've been writing fiction since then. What I hate most is losing friends. They start dropping like flies in a heat wave at my age.

Vaughan Quincey, RMBROWN and Xoic like this.
  12. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I'm 43 and only feel "old" when I hear that one of my employees has parents older than me. Puts me square in the dad jokes demographic to them, so they roll their eyes when I'm almost always considered the funniest guy in the room.

13. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Contributor Contributor Contest Winner 2023

I feel old watching football (North American) and see guys that are the sons of guys I used to watch 25+ years ago, and I was already an adult then.

14. J.T. Woody

J.T. Woody Book Witch Contributor

When i pop out a kid or two, then i will officially be "old" :meh: (imo)

15. OurJud

OurJud Contributor Contributor

I honestly haven’t been sure of my exact age for a good number of years now. That might sound hard to believe, and of course I could work it out, but I have no desire to. When asked, I give an answer that I know is within at least two years, which of course then illicits a wide-eyed response of, “You don’t know??”

J.T. Woody likes this.
  16. Flamenco1

Flamenco1 Member

I am enjoying retirement at 69. The thing that surprises me is how short days are. I play flamenco guitar and write. I have to walk the dog 9:30pm to 11pm, and cook most of the meals for me and the wife. But days run out so quickly and I have no idea where the hours went. I now try and start writing before 8am to get a head start but the day still vanishes. Cést la vie

17. RMBROWN

RMBROWN Senior Member

I tell people that I am semi retired, working only 60 or so hours instead of 70 or more. I have lost a number of friends and enemies over the years, out living the good and the bad. A lot that has been said, a lot that has been done is lost. There are no memories if there is, no one to remember them. Sad but for some things, only my memory still exists. It does bring a new emphasis on the power of the written word. I think I have 60 or so personal stories about my life and events that happened over the years. I have just started printing them out, having no faith in computers or memory cards, memory discs, floppy or the even the cloud. Something tells me that the words written on the page will outlast every form of saving information; over the years it seems that many are already obsolete.

Flamenco1 and Xoic like this.
  18. GrahamLewis

GrahamLewis Seeking the bigger self Contributor Contest Winner 2022 Contest Winner 2024 Contest Winner 2023

an oasis of PC midst right-wing extremism
    Currently Reading::
    Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
    I am vain enough that I still enjoy when I tell people my age (71) and they seem sincerely surprised, e.g., "you're not that old." I sometimes think of that Paul Simon line from the S&G song, "Old Friends," which goes "how terribly strange to be 70." It's only strange in the abstract, and to someone in their 20s, as though it's a new world. Trust me, it's not, just a continuation of the old one (if one is lucky, as I have been). I do sometimes think about my father at this age, and realize how little I understood him and was willing to consign him to a new category.

Then my 25-year-old daughter will tell me they don't want me to help them move apartments because "you're not so young anymore." Makes me wish I had a cane so I could strike her with it.

Shayne likes this.