1. BBCnich

BBCnich New Member

Novel What would you consider the ideal chapter length?

Discussion in 'Genre Discussions' started by BBCnich, Sep 10, 2019.

I got curious as I often struggle to get my chapters over 2500 words and apparently most people recommend chapters be 5000 words long, which, how???

How long do you like your chapters to be?

2. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

I like chapters that are long enough to fulfill their function and no longer. Word count really doesn't matter to me.

3. big soft moose

big soft moose An Admoostrator Admin Staff Supporter Contributor Community Volunteer

there's no right answer - it depends on the story - by and large my chapters in the book I'm currently writing are four or five pages on the word processor. (so about 10-15 in the finished book depending on trimsize etc), however ive had other books where a chapter could be a couple of paragraphs

4. Lifeline

Lifeline South. Supporter Contributor

As @big soft moose said, there's no set answer.

However, I believe that word counts about the length of a short story are easy to read. Shorter and you need to compress a lot in a few words, longer and the reader might either don't have time to finish it or would have information overload. That's exagerated, but you get my point. I also believe that varity is the spice of life :) and lots of very successful novels disregard what I said about chapter lengths. Only seldom theories survive contact with the real world ;)

5. peachalulu

peachalulu Member Reviewer Contributor

I like short chapters for thrillers, any length for anything else. To keep a lockdown on my wordcount/page count I'm only allowing 5 pages per chapter for my WIP.

6. deadrats

deadrats Contributor Contributor

I prefer long chapters. I probably am right around that 5k mark if not longer for my chapters. It's also what I prefer as a reader. For me, too many short chapters break up the story.

7. Cave Troll

Cave Troll It's Coffee O'clock everywhere. Contributor

Where cushions are comfy, and straps hold firm.
    5k+ is fine.

Since I have little applicable knowledge, I kinda just
    follow the lead of the ladies in group that round each
    to about 3-3.5k, with some shorter than that.
    Honestly I think that it is subjective, and I don't really
    have an answer since my first book doesn't have them.

Good luck. :)

8. Katibel

Katibel Member

Chapters are just necessary breaks to me. They set a scene and play it out, then conclude, so length varies from approximately 1,500 - 8,000 words. I once wrote a 25-page chapter (roughly 10,000 words?) and that was too long. Tolkien did the same in his Lord of the Rings trilogy and I remember struggling to read those chapters in one go.

Short chapters, on the other hand, can be used to great effect, depending on the aim.

9. Homer Potvin

Homer Potvin A tombstone hand and a graveyard mind Staff Supporter Contributor

I dont care so long as there are occasional page breaks to give me a convenient place to rest/stop. Nothing drives me battier than 20 page runs of unbroken text. Man needs to take a leak, grab a beer, or walk the dog occasionally.

10. M.A.

M.A. Member

I don't think there's any "right" answer as long as it's not unreasonably short or long. Personally, I prefer reading chapters that are long enough that I can read just one chapter and still feel like I've been entertained for a while. However, there must be paragraphs and breaks within the chapter so that I can stop at almost any point.

I do have a follow up questions for all of you, though. When you write a book, should you make sure all the chapters are the same length? Or can you have some short and some long chapters? In my own manuscript my shortest chapter is about 8 pages in MS Word, but my longest is over 20.

11. The Dapper Hooligan

The Dapper Hooligan (V) ( ;,,;) (v) Contributor

You can totally have both long and short chapters. No Country for Old Men had chapters that are 20 pages long and a few that are a page or less long. Chapter breaks are similar to paragraph breaks in that they should be where it's most natural for them to be. This can be for a change of scene, change of POV, change of arc, change of ideas, because something big happened and you want to give the reader some time to think about what it is, or you need to change the pace up a bit. Stretching chapters out of cutting them to make them a uniform length is not really a great idea. And I'm not saying this to be mean or anything, but if someone's hung up on the physical length of a chapter, they probably don't have a solid understanding of what the actual function of a chapter is and I would recommend they grab a book on structure.

M.A. likes this.
  12. M.A.

M.A. Member

Thanks for your thoughts. I totally agree, and I would never artificially cut or extend chapters to make them more uniform - I think that would make for a bad read.

13. OrdinaryJoe

OrdinaryJoe Active Member

Chapter 1. Dear God this is a long chapter.
    Chapter 2. The end.

Something like this probably won't work but anything else should be considered okay. If the pacing and information presented are all relevant to say one development, then I say don't worry about chapter size and just let it go as long as it needs too.

M.A. likes this.