1. ~Artemis~

~Artemis~ Member

Surnames?

Discussion in 'Character Development' started by ~Artemis~, Nov 29, 2015.

I always try to attach meaning to my characters' names; usually I go on babynames.com and do an advanced search for a particular meaning that has something to do with my characters' personality. My stories typically don't require my characters to have surnames, but now I'm writing one that does. Does anyone know of any goods websites where I could search for a meaning (e.g. "wise," "enforcer," "ruler," etc.) and get a list of surnames that match/come close to that meaning? I have surnames.behindthename.com bookmarked, but I don't find their list very extensive. Maybe I'm wrong though, and the meanings I'm searching for just don't have surnames attached to them. But does anyone know of any other sites that might have a wider (or at least different) range of surnames? Thanks!

~Artemis~

2. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

No, but unless you'd rather not, what are you hoping to match?

3. ~Artemis~

~Artemis~ Member

Preferably something about being an enforcer, or if not then an educator. But mostly I'm looking for something strict I guess.

4. BrianIff

BrianIff I'm so piano, a bad punctuator. Contributor

What do you think of Bailey? If I think of something else I'll edit to add, but now everyone can see in case they're familiar.

5. NeighborVoid

NeighborVoid Active Member

"Lex" means "the law" in Latin.
    That could work.

6. ~Artemis~

~Artemis~ Member

Thanks guys, great suggestions! ^.^

7. Commandante Lemming

Commandante Lemming Contributor Contributor

I've had slightly better luck in finding lists of surnames and meanings if I looks specifically for databases of ETHNIC surnames. I've pulled names out of lists of Roma Surnames, Albanian Surnames, Jewish Surnames, Cajun Surnames, etc. Granted in my case that's easy because ethnic ancestry is usually a foundational component in my character creation, so I know what I'm looking for going in. But on balance you'll find better name-lists if attach an ethnic search tag and find ethno-specific sites.